String Spread On A 7 String?

Kenny

basically figure out your nut width.. and you want to draw out a sheet (god i need to take pics of this stuff). you draw a center line down a sheet of paper.. then @ the bottom of the page mark 3 lines on each side (1/4" apart), then @ the top of the page mark 3 lines on each side of the page 1/8" apart then connect each of the corresponding lines..

once you make this template (if you don't understand I'll take a picture of what I'm talkin' about) then you take the nut width and measure in 1/8" in from each side. then slide the template up until the 2 outside lines match up w/ the 2 (1/8" lines from the outsides of the nut) and mark out your string spacing..

Sorry I'm really bad @ explaining things.. If I get around to it tomorrow I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about :D

L8er

Scab

If I were you i'd take the pragmatic approach. Find a 6 string guitar whose string spacing you like, divide into the overall spacing to find the spacing between each string, then simply add an extra string's worth of spacing to it. That should be a good starting point.

You can do this for both the spacing at the nut and the bridge. For the nut you'll have more flexibility because you can cut the string spacing yourself. For the bridge, you'll have to find one to match, but once you have determined the string spacing using the method I mentioned above, you should be able to find something pretty close.

If I were you i'd take the pragmatic approach. Find a 6 string guitar whose string spacing you like, divide into the overall spacing to find the spacing between each string, then simply add an extra string's worth of spacing to it. That should be a good starting point.

You can do this for both the spacing at the nut and the bridge. For the nut you'll have more flexibility because you can cut the string spacing yourself. For the bridge, you'll have to find one to match, but once you have determined the string spacing using the method I mentioned above, you should be able to find something pretty close.

Or better yet, go find a 7 string guitar you like and copy it's measurements. :D

Or better yet, go find a 7 string guitar you like and copy it's measurements. :D

True, true...but chances are he's already got a 6 string. I was just going with the most accessible approach. With a little leg work one could probably find a 7 string that they really liked the feel of, but if you've got a 6 string laying around and a good ruler, then you're set. :D

True, true...but chances are he's already got a 6 string. I was just going with the most accessible approach. With a little leg work one could probably find a 7 string that they really liked the feel of, but if you've got a 6 string laying around and a good ruler, then you're set. B)

Well it does give you an excuse to go to the music store and play tons of guitars. :D

If you have a digital caliper, at the nut you'll notice that the top 2 or 3 bass strings tend to be a little closer together than the last 3-4 treble strings.

So yeah taking the total nut width, subtracting 1/8" from each end, then dividing the remainder by the number of string gaps...yeah, that will get you an average string spacing at the nut. But if you use that spacing exactly when you cut the nut, it will feel a little weird. Don't ask me how I know. :D

If you have a digital caliper, at the nut you'll notice that the top 2 or 3 bass strings tend to be a little closer together than the last 3-4 treble strings.

So yeah taking the total nut width, subtracting 1/8" from each end, then dividing the remainder by the number of string gaps...yeah, that will get you an average string spacing at the nut. But if you use that spacing exactly when you cut the nut, it will feel a little weird. Don't ask me how I know. :D

How would you know that? :D

Or you could cheat like I do and buy one of these.

Yes I know it's $20 and I could do without it, but it's $20 well spent IMO for less hassle and more speed/accuracy.