Bass, String Thur And Scale

just a quick question. I started tearing down my Hamer blitz bass restore project tonight. still debating top load or string through option. the scale is from the nut to the bridge? so would the placement of the string ferules matter?

I see some guitars and bass with offset string thur placements. is this just for show?

the reason I ask is that the string thur placement on the D and G string might come close to the control panel!! I may have to move the placement of the two...

Actually, When placing them you should consider your bridge saddles and the break angle that will be produced. String tension is not altered, as it is a given tension, denisty of string and scale length produce a given pitch. Added dead string length does effect intonation (but long lengths are required to make significant change), and there is a theory that added dead string length also effects how easy it is to bend a string (extra length= more string to stretch).

Edited by fryovanni

Actually, When placing them you should consider your bridge saddles and the break angle that will be produced. String tension is not altered, as it is a given tension, denisty of string and scale length produce a given pitch. Added dead string length does effect intonation (but long lengths are required to make significant change), and there is a theory that added dead string length also effects how easy it is to bend a string (extra length= more string to stretch).

ok, then it sounds like I can do it. I'm just it the tear down and stripping stage so I need to study this alittle more. but from just a quick look I think at most I will need to move them 1 inch back on the D and G string if needed.

once I get it stripped down I'll figure out how close they will come to the control hole. I think as long as they don't break the 1/2 inch area I can leave them inline. I'm hoping to use the Hipshot single bridge pieces with the string thur option.

Thanks Guys

i stand corrected.

Some of it is just cosmetic. Like if you want a diaganol patern, or a V, or lightning bolt. Bolt they are all done with the break angle in mind. It needs to be close enough to the bridge to create enough tension to keep the strings tight against the saddles to prevent buzzing behind the bridge. But needs to be far enough away so that the strings do not hit the body of the bridge and cause other problems. Now if it is a string thru type bridge similar to a telecaster where the stings come from straight under the bridge and make a 90 deg. turn over the saddle, then you just place the holes where the holes in the bridge are.