Top Mount Tremolos

I am planning out a SG Jr build and would love to throw a tremolo on it. Something similar to this would work, however I can't seem to find many options for a surface/top mount trem other than that or a Bigsby. I do not want a Bigsby because of the price and looks. Can anyone offer any suggestions for suppliers? Thanks!

Well, if price is an issue, then you're pretty much out of luck. There's the Les Trem, which replaces the stoptail on a TOM-style guitar, but that's hugely expensive.

Those Teisco type trems blow big time, they're just not stable enough to be worth it. That's why the only place you ever see them is on cheapo guitars from the 60s.

You also need to figure out what kind of trem sound you're going for --if you want to dive bomb, then you pretty much have to forget any topmount system, they just aren't made for that. Bigsbys, etc, are there for a bit of flutter, that's it.

Since you are in the planning stage, there is really no reason that you can't base the design on any tremolo. Be it a vintage trem, Floyd Rose, or Kahler. Since you have a blank piece of paper and wood, you can plan it in from the beginning.

Right, but the exact tremolo isn't something I'm really planning around. I'm just weight out my options for surface mounted trems. The build is already under way, and I am approaching the point where I will need the bridge/tailpiece unit soon.

...but the exact tremolo isn't something I'm really planning around. The build is already under way, and I am approaching the point where I will need the bridge/tailpiece unit soon.

You realize that this is backwards right? Planning-wise the bridge should be the FIRST thing you decide on; its height determines whether or not you need a neck angle (and how much), and its string spacing determines (along with the nut spacing) the taper of your neck and whether you can use blade-type pickups or whether the strings will match up with polepieces.

Bridge first...the rest follows.

...but the exact tremolo isn't something I'm really planning around. The build is already under way, and I am approaching the point where I will need the bridge/tailpiece unit soon.

You realize that this is backwards right? Planning-wise the bridge should be the FIRST thing you decide on; its height determines whether or not you need a neck angle (and how much), and its string spacing determines (along with the nut spacing) the taper of your neck and whether you can use blade-type pickups or whether the strings will match up with polepieces.

Bridge first...the rest follows.

I am very aware of all of this. This will be my fourth guitar.

When I said my build is under way I mean I have cut out the mahogany slabs and laser cut some templates for body routing. I wouldn't dare going much further without a bridge.

Well since an SG is a flat topped guitar, you can use pretty much any trem you want. But you have to at least narrow it down. A vintage won't require a neck angle, a Floyd may require a slight one, a Kahler will require one, and any that work with a TOM will require one. The entire guitar is based on the bridge and nut. Even if you don't nail down an exact model you have to decide on the style.