Routing Depth For A Recessed Tunomatic

I want to recess a Graphtech Shaller tunomatic bridge on a flat top/ bolt on guitar.

The fret board will be 7/16 above the body

Can any one help with how deep I need to route out the cavity to receive the bridge.

Also How deep do you route for a standard humbucker that will be screwed the the body with out rings?

Thanks Ed

Ghost Saddle Pickups - Schaller Chm 6pc

Item Code PN-8800-C0

Brands: Ghost

The guys have might sound a bit harsh but they are exactly right. You have to draw it out full size. No one can tell you exactly what depth is needed. You will have to take a lot of things in consideration: How high are the tops of the fret above the face of the guitar and how high would you like to have your action is the most important data. That is very individual and every answer would have to be adjusted for the specific guitar and player.

So do as Setch suggests. Draw out the side view full scale. Body thickness, neck thickness, neck rout depth, fret height, full neck length, nut height, and everything and mark the place for the bridge. Then you mark the desired action at say the 12th fret. Now connect all the dots… Sorry draw a line from the nut, through the “action mark” and continue so that you pass your bridge mark. Now you know how high above the face of the body the highest bridge saddle should be. Draw the bridge height and measure how deep the rout should be. Tadaa!

The same thing with the pickups. Measure your average pickup to strings distance. Draw the pickups into the same drawing. Measure the depth. It’s when you do this you starting to appreciate a CAD program.

Or even better, as your question actually implies that you lack some basic knowledge of this; Read up a lot more on the internet and most important buy a good book (Melvyn Hiscocks book give you enough information to solve this problem). Just make sure you have understood it all before you go on and waste expensive wood because you were not ready to start they build yet.

I want to recess a Graphtech Shaller tunomatic bridge on a flat top/ bolt on guitar.

The fret board will be 7/16 above the body

Can any one help with how deep I need to route out the cavity to receive the bridge.

Also How deep do you route for a standard humbucker that will be screwed the the body with out rings?

Thanks Ed

Ghost Saddle Pickups - Schaller Chm 6pc

Item Code PN-8800-C0

Brands: Ghost

1/4"

... but if it doens't work, don't blame me.

The guys have might sound a bit harsh but they are exactly right. You have to draw it out full size. No one can tell you exactly what depth is needed. You will have to take a lot of things in consideration: How high are the tops of the fret above the face of the guitar and how high would you like to have your action is the most important data. That is very individual and every answer would have to be adjusted for the specific guitar and player.

So do as Setch suggests. Draw out the side view full scale. Body thickness, neck thickness, neck rout depth, fret height, full neck length, nut height, and everything and mark the place for the bridge. Then you mark the desired action at say the 12th fret. Now connect all the dots… Sorry draw a line from the nut, through the “action mark” and continue so that you pass your bridge mark. Now you know how high above the face of the body the highest bridge saddle should be. Draw the bridge height and measure how deep the rout should be. Tadaa!

The same thing with the pickups. Measure your average pickup to strings distance. Draw the pickups into the same drawing. Measure the depth. It’s when you do this you starting to appreciate a CAD program.

Or even better, as your question actually implies that you lack some basic knowledge of this; Read up a lot more on the internet and most important buy a good book (Melvyn Hiscocks book give you enough information to solve this problem). Just make sure you have understood it all before you go on and waste expensive wood because you were not ready to start they build yet.

Thanks for the direction, I have it worked out.

Edited by EDLK