School Project

Hello,

I am a high school drafting teacher at Greenbrier East High School in Lewisburg, West Virginia. I have been playing bass since 1988. Next year in my advanced drafting class I am going to have my students design a guitar or bass, I am thinking about holding a design contest and build the winning design.

This forum looks to be the most informative that I have found. To the Admins, would it possible for my students to post here? Or should I act as a go between and post any questions that I can't answer.

Thank you for your time.

I think that it's a wonderful idea.

I'm sure that your students could learn a whole lot, but at the same time I would hate to over expose them to non related topics.

The admins may be able to setup a sub-forum for those projects only, maybe that could kind of help keep everything in one place with it.

Best of luck with the project, I would love to see what they come up with.

Perhaps you could partner up with the woodshop teacher there and actually make some of them.

I guess the first question though is, have you ever built a guitar. While coming up with a unique shape may be easy, designing one for playability and and functionality is a little more difficult. Teaching the students how to design one and have them do it on CAD is a great idea, but you have to have enough knowledge to be able to teach it first. Explaining such things as scale length, pickup positions and styles and how pickups work. Those are all things that the kids are going to either want or need to know. Teaching them about neck angle, setup and action are all necessary just to make a design that is playable. And then on top of that the different building techniques and how the designs must accomodate them.

This forum looks to be the most informative that I have found. To the Admins, would it possible for my students to post here? Or should I act as a go between and post any questions that I can't answer.

I don't see why you and your students can't join up a regular users, and I don't see any point in creating a special sub-forum just for you. There are already plenty of categories to choose from. And anyone interested in building guitars is welcome here.

Why not just start a thread in the projects/progress section? There's a lot of traffic there and it's there exactly for this kind of thing. All of your student's designs will fit there.

Questions can always be posted there or in the appropriate areas --a lot of people only go to the topics that interest them (finishing, electronics).

And then you'll be able to set up a poll and allow us to choose the winning design. Which will be fun for us!

I guess the first question though is, have you ever built a guitar. While coming up with a unique shape may be easy, designing one for playability and and functionality is a little more difficult. Teaching the students how to design one and have them do it on CAD is a great idea, but you have to have enough knowledge to be able to teach it first. Explaining such things as scale length, pickup positions and styles and how pickups work. Those are all things that the kids are going to either want or need to know. Teaching them about neck angle, setup and action are all necessary just to make a design that is playable. And then on top of that the different building techniques and how the designs must accomodate them.

I built a bass about 20 years ago. I plan on having CAD lessons mixed with lessons about guitar building and the history of the electric guitar and the great players. I needed a project to get my kids interested in doing research and really putting the time into a project. I will put a poll up to let you guys have a vote in the winning design. I am going to have my students with the marketing class and make an ad for the their design. Part of my class is going to involve getting a guitar in their hands and getting a feel for the instrument. I also plan on having some local players come in and talk about their rigs and playing for the kids.

Again, thanks for your comments and support.

Edited by warmachine

Sounds like your doing a great thing for the kids. More young people should learn exacting technical work, I know it helped me a lot learning this kind of thing at a young age.

Definitely post/have your students post any questions they might have, this place is a great way to learn. 99% of the members here are very knowledgeable helpful people.

You could even have a sub project where they have to use the search engine here and find answers to questions you give them.

If you *really* want to challenge them and have them learn something you could bring the physics of a vibrating string into it also with questions like, what is a scale length and why does it matter when applied to the way a guitar string vibrates to produce a tone? Or what happens to the vibrating string when you fret it at a higher position on the neck?

This could be really cool for your students.

Sounds like your doing a great thing for the kids. More young people should learn exacting technical work, I know it helped me a lot learning this kind of thing at a young age.

Definitely post/have your students post any questions they might have, this place is a great way to learn. 99% of the members here are very knowledgeable helpful people.

You could even have a sub project where they have to use the search engine here and find answers to questions you give them.

If you *really* want to challenge them and have them learn something you could bring the physics of a vibrating string into it also with questions like, what is a scale length and why does it matter when applied to the way a guitar string vibrates to produce a tone? Or what happens to the vibrating string when you fret it at a higher position on the neck?

This could be really cool for your students.

This project is still in the early planning stages so getting a physics teacher on board is something I might consider. The vocational department at my school is trying to turn our image around and this is a way to attract a variety of kids to our classes.

I am going to stress research and thinking outside of the norm.

Once I get a my plan finalized I will post a copy so I can get some input from the builders.

Thanks

Sounds like a great idea.

If you tell where you live, there may even be some of us in the local area who could come in and talk.

Greenbrier East High School in Lewisburg, West Virginia

He told us in the first post.

Are you a Captain America fan? I also collect comics and I am a huge Cap fan. I am going to build a bass this summer and have been playing with the idea of making a Marvel comics bass. :D

Sounds like a nice little project it should make them do enough research to make them work but won't be overwhelming for the kids just be careful i have found a lot of dwg's out there. but hey as far as design i think you could have every one on this board build a double cutout guitar and every one would be unique sounds fun to me.

Are you a Captain America fan? I also collect comics and I am a huge Cap fan. I am going to build a bass this summer and have been playing with the idea of making a Marvel comics bass.

I'm an Avengers fan. The book appeared in Sept. 1963, hence my screen name: avengers63. Cap is the unparalelled leader of the Avengers, so using him as my avatar seemed the logical choice. If I knew hao to use a different image, I probably would. FWIW: I've ben collecting comics since 1982.

LMK when you make the bass. I'd love to bounce some comic tribute ideas off each other.

i wish I had a teacher like you at my school.

I'm new to teaching, this is only my second year. I was in civil engineering and architecture for 15 years before I started teaching. Some days I really suck, it has been hard to find things to get the kids motivated and interested while I'm trying to figure teaching out. I think this guitar project is going to be a huge success if I can pull it off.

Here's a thought:

The body is painted with Cap's shield as big as possible so that it covers the entire face. Cap's your guy so he's your focus. The headstock can have an inlay of the Marvel 'M' logo. The fret markers can be inlays representing your favorite titles: a round Spider-Man face, Daredevil's double-D from his chest, the Fantastic Four's 4 symbol, the X-Men's yellow & black X, the classic Avengers A, etc. If you start at the 1st fret and go to the 19th, you'd have 9 titles to pay homage to.

Here's a thought:

The body is painted with Cap's shield as big as possible so that it covers the entire face. Cap's your guy so he's your focus. The headstock can have an inlay of the Marvel 'M' logo. The fret markers can be inlays representing your favorite titles: a round Spider-Man face, Daredevil's double-D from his chest, the Fantastic Four's 4 symbol, the X-Men's yellow & black X, the classic Avengers A, etc. If you start at the 1st fret and go to the 19th, you'd have 9 titles to pay homage to.

:D

You are dead on to what I as thinking. I had thought about the inlays last night. I might be getting a Fender Jazz bass neck off of Ebay. If I get it cheap enough I might be inclined to experiment on it.