First Build - Six String Bass

Hey everybody, I'm FINALLY getting around to building my first bass after years of collecting parts, starting, messing up, going on hiatus with the project, then starting up again... :D

The specs are as follows:

TOP: Macassar Ebony with Ziricote center strip bound by 2 thin strips of flamed maple. If things go to plan, there will be a cool inlay between the pickups in the center of the body.

BODY CORE: Hard Ash

BACK: Figured Sapele

NECK: I purchased the neck for this bass. I will build the next one, but this time, I'm flaking out on that task B) it was made by the people at Musikraft. The details are : 35 " scale - 7 pc Paduak with flamed maple strips - macassar ebony fretboard 2" at nut 3.25 at 24th - 17mm string spacing

Electronics:

Pickups: Custom Aero JB6AE single coil (he built them for the first attempt, which had a myrtle top and I had myrtle covers made...now I'm thinking I may try to make my own flamed maple covers because I don't want the myrtle to look out of place, I'm kinda picky about that)

Wiring: Passive J bass wiring Volume/Blend/Tone

The body design has been through many variations and tweaks, and I'm almost there. I don't have a photo of my most recent drawing, but it is not much different from the one shown. There are lines everywhere showing some ideas I had on one of them. I am open to input on the body. :D

Here are some pics of what's up so far (not much)

here are the boards that will make up the body (minus the thin maple strips...

Picture001.jpg

Here's the rough body design, when I get pics of the "more finished, and I mean really close" version, I'll post em.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture009-1.jpg

and some more pics of woods used, etc.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture011.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture002.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture004.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture005.jpg

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be appreciated!!

Edit: changed my wording from a word the censor didn't like to "picky" :D

Also, anyone know who could make some pickup covers for me without a huge cost? I'm po'

Edited by Bassisgreat

I forgot to mention that there will be gold hardware (except for the padouk and maple knobs made by Roger at THG Knobs). I'd go with Black if I could do it again, but I was on a gold trip for a while.

The bridge is an ABM with adjustable EVERYTHING, it's great, if a little heavy. It's solid brass.

I'm thinking that I will want a nice thick glossy spray finish on it, but I don't have the resources to do that myself, so I'll need to see if there's anyone in the DFW TX area that may be able to help a brother out! :D:D

Check out the tutorials on talkbass, there is one on pickup cover making and knob making. If you don't have the tools to make either, you're welcome to come out to my shop and make them there. Good ideas so far, I really like the look of the body.

Thanks for the reply, Jon! I hope it all turns out ok. I'll do a search on TB and see if I can work out how to make the covers myself. I need to find a piece of flame maple the proper size, and don't want to spend a fortune on somehting much bigger than I need, so I'm gonna be on a search for that.

Any thoughts on the wood selection? The reason I'm including the center section of ziricote/flame maple is because the M. Ebony is not wide enough to make a top on it's own, I am considering whether it would look better if I just put the ziricote in there and left out the maple stringers in the body. I don't want it too be too busy or look gaudy. :D

I don't have constant access to a camera, but hopefully I'll be able to document this build reasonably well. I hope to get some feedback and advice from the folks here. :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. I worked some more on the body design last night (tiny tweaks here and there) and hopefully very soon I'll be able to post a pic of that AND some more progress! :D

I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for the great folks on this and other musical instrument building forums, so THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

I guess from here on in, I am just going to be very careful and see if I can't come out with a beautiful, great sounding bass.

That bass design is HOT! I'm jealous now. I wish I came up with that. B)

Where did you get the Ebony top?

Thanks alot for the flattering comment, Phil! You make some beautiful instruments yourself! :D I've been a fan since the olive topped bass. B)

I got the ebony from gilmerwood.com several years ago...4 or 5, I think. I was 'windowshopping,' (or would it be "Windows-shopping"? :D ) and I couldn't pass it up. I also have a gorgeous figured pink ivory top (plus enough scrap to make at least one bass fingerboard) that I bought from them about the same time. In other words, when I had money... :D

ohhh yes, the good old days. Sad thing is, I never realized how good they were til they were gone... Hopefully to come again.

I figured I'd throw alot of my pricey stuff together on this bass, since my next one probably won't have some of the luxuries like custom pups, unless I wind them myself or can find someone to make them for me at a very reasonable price... Fortunately, I DO still have enough purdy woods to make at least 2 more tops. Then I may start building one piece bodies and calling myself a minimalist (in the wallet dept). :D:DB)

On a side note, I swear I can't complete a post without using emoticons... that's probably annoying, haha.

nothing much to update, but I am going to play with the body design some more and see if I can come up with a way to keep the "feeling" but make it more practical. After talking and typing with a few people, I'm a little worried about the tip on the bass horn being too fragile, but haven't completely found a solution yet. I really want to keep that accent there, but need a way to make it more stable. I am also going to work on getting the peak of the thigh cutaway to line up, more or less, with the 24th fret for playing comfort. I may compromise a little here and there if it doesn't please me aesthetically, but in the end I want an instrument to play, not to look at. I am trying my best to plan this thing into oblivion before I do anything that can't be undone, but it sure requires patience... Not that I actually have a problem with that, I'm just anxious to get going!

On a side note, I'm going to try to find a way to use the Mac ebony as a top by itself. It's a beautiful top and I don't want to muck it up with a bunch of laminates. Not that there's anything wrong with laminated bodies, but I like this one left natural. Besides, there is going to be a somewhat flashy inlay in the middle of the body.

I'm going to make my own pickup covers out of some birdseye maple I have. I'd like to get flamed maple to keep everything completely in theme, but birdseye is as close as I can get without spending more money I don't have... I think it will work out fine.

I'll post an updated drawing as soon as I have a photo.

Any thoughts on how to "fix" the body?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the body in the first place, why do you want to suit someone else's tastes? :D It's your bass. There's nothing wrong with the tigh cutaway when you'll be playing sitting down. Most basses have theirs in that position or even further away from the 24th fret.

The only thing I'm wondering is if the end of the upper bout is close enough to the 12th fret. It looks slightly short. If it is too far from the 12th fret you might get neck dive as your strap will be too far from the centre of gravity on the instrument. I also think that there's nothing wrong with that spikey thing on the top horn. It won't be used for support of your neck it's simply decorative. Keep it there if you like it.

Thanks, Phil. I am certainly not acquiescing to someone else's aesthetic tastes, just trying to make sure I don't make any "rookie mistakes." I KNOW I will, BTW :D , but prevention is the key to keeping them minimal.

I was actually looking at a Jazz bass body and the thigh cutaway on that is placed pretty far from the 24th. While I can see the 24th fret as being the ideal position, I don't think it will cause any problems if I leave it where it is. I may move it up a tad, but just enough to keep my aesthetics the way I want them. I do think I will make the tip on the bass horn a hair wider though. Just enough to not have any flaky bits at the end. It won't be supporting anything, and the strap should never touch it. I can't see a reason that anything would get into that space to break it, but the universe can be mysterious... :D

As far as the length of the upper horn, I am playing with that too. I really do want to make it about 3/4" longer, ideally, but I am a little constricted by the size of my body blank (20" long) I do think that with some of the design tweaks I've made, I'll be able to add another 1/4" or so. The next one, assuming I end up digging this body in "real space," will be made from a larger blank.

I have some small challenges ahead as far as using the ebony alone as a top, but I hope I'll be able to work it out. I kind of have my heart set on it now.

I have a final drawing and will be making 1/2" clear acrylic templates (and taking a few pics :D) tomorrow. I left the thigh cutaway the way it was. I just like it there, and I really don't think it will have any negative impact on sitting playability. I'll have my thick template to give me a better idea tomorrow.

I've been considering finishes. I want a hard clear finish on this one, and I'm thinking a brush on epoxy finish. I've seen some users of this and other forums have success with them and it seems easy enough... Any experience or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, since I know basically nothing about finishing (experience wise - I've done lots of :D )

No idea how well Epoxy lasts over time, but there are easier to use finishes that can look much better. The guy you're speaking of just used it because it's what he had experience with. My 8-string is finished in poly for the high-gloss look. We'll see how that turns out in a few days. :D

I have a little bit of poly at home that I've never messed with, I'll try it out on some scrap tonight and see what I think. Turns out I do have access to a compressor and spray gun, should a rookie try a spray finish, or would a hand applied finish be better for learning purposes?

edit: going to read in the finishing forums. :D

Edited by Bassisgreat

Not as much as I'd like to report, but I can only get into the shop on some weekends at this point... Today I cut out my template and jointed the ebony top.

Picture013.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture033.jpg

Here's the neck I'll be using - 7 pc paduak and flame maple with mac ebony board

I couldn't get a great shot of the board, I'll try to do that soon. It's more swirly and spotty than striped, so it will not look quite the same as the body, which I like.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture045.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture040.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture049.jpg

And on a side note, here is a piece of Pink Ivory I'm selling, made a top from it already and there's 11/32 thickness left, so someone else can have fun with it too. This wood is amazing... :D:D I'll be putting it on the 'bay in a couple of days.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture017.jpg

and a little damp

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/JQR3/Picture023.jpg

all these pics are pretty crummy, sorry. I'll do better when I have some REAL progress to report. :D

Edited by Bassisgreat

Thanks, Jon!

A tiny bit to report, but sadly no pics. (I REALLY need a camera...)

I glued up the body blank and made a change in the wood design for the back. I decided to include the Ziricote between the Sapele wings to add a dark touch to the back and spice things up a little bit. I also made some small design changes (probably not noticable to many) that I think will help structural integrity. Now I'm going to make my 1/2" acrylic template and go from there. :D

Hope everybody has a Happy Easter. Or if you don't celebrate Easter, have a great weekend!