Building On A Budget

It's finally happened! I moved my workbench, I found my camera and I found my camera charger and it's a holiday so i got some stuff done!

For those of you that haven't read my introduction a brief history lesson. I began this project about six years ago, gave up and chucked it under the bed these are the pieces that survived that traumatic banishment

Ash [favourite wood] body parts (was two pieces screwed up the routing cut out the centre hand cut the new pickup cavity got bored left it for six years)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5138.jpg

The neck (rippled sycamore [second favourite] + rosewood, not a fan and won't use it again anything i buy now will be sourced from britain gootta keep the old carbon footprint down!)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5141.jpg

my power tools 1xBandsaw 1xJointer :D (i row to keep my strength up for epic cutting marathons)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5156.jpg

Okay now to recent progress.

I could have sworn when I glued the body together that the facews were perfectly flat...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5153.jpg

Ever get the rage?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5158.jpg

and here is the main event!

CIMG5171.jpg

the body as of this evening parts added to indicate finished look anything on the wood is black anything on the black is chrome pickgaurd was not cut the wrong way round i want it a very dull if any sheen and i think it looks better working from the rough side than the gloss side also the shape isn't finished yet it still needs tweeking. A tip for everyone don't seperate glued body parts after drinking copiously its bloody stupid and could damage the guitar burn marks will be removed!

Edited by joshvegas

Thanks guys

I dig the design. I'd make the thigh cutaway a little deeper to "sexy it up" some.

I know what you mean about the waist I'm not sure, it's already really narrow waisted and to be honest the photo makes it look squater than it actually is (i think it could be an optical effect from the black scratch plate being empty i think i'll leave it just now until it's got a neck ready to be fitted and see if that brings the proportion into line (explorers are very off centre looking at the waist aswell). At te moment it is very very comfy plying sitting down!

and yes it'll be finished natural in some way yet to be decided.

+1. I'd make the higher cutaway farther in. Apart from that lookin sweet! I only see five saddles though.... Where is the lonely saddle??? :D

:D

do you mean the treble cuttaway or the bass cut away? because the bass cutaway isn't finished yet it will look more like the treble cutaway the neck /body join area is also not finished which i think is throwing the shape off a bit!

I am not disagreeing with what you guys are saying But i think i'll check what it looks like with a neck on before i do anything rash!

on the subject of the neck I have a few headstock ideas but any suggestions are very welcome but it has to be 3 and 3 and small because its gonna be pretty unbalanced as it is! Oh and it will be faced front and back with ash because i really dont like stripes running through headstocks for some reason!

Looks good man, I LOVE the body design! I don't know what your plans are, but I would go with bridge pickup only. That's perfect for the body.

For the headstock... The "visually heaviest" parts of the body are the round area behind the bass side of the bridge, and the long lower horn.

Draw a line between these... I think the "visual weight" of the headstock should be the opposite of that. I.e., "weight" in the area of the D string tuner and also in the area of the thin E string tuner.

However, it would also look good with the "same weight line" as the body, if that makes sense.

I hope that's helpful and not too esoteric! :D

thanks alot! yeah you're right about the one pickup but i will drill a hole through the neck cavity incase i decide to modify!

I know what you meant about the headstock however i have decided on a small arrow head type design due to the fact that i hacked a lump off the neck blank a few years ago and i don't have enough left for anything fancy i think it will still look pretty good though becasue the body has a sort of fast look to it if you know what i mean

Just for S&G, here's a very quick and rough version of what I'd do to the thigh cutaway. It is a thin line, so it may be hard to see...

To me, right now it doesn't follow the natural line started by the curve (which I like) in the bottom end of the body. Maybe the angle is playing tricks on me (it could also be the pickguard shape, not too sure I fully dig that) , and by all means, it's your design and your axe. :D I like the guitar, and hope it turns out awesome! :D

CIMG5171.jpg

Edited by Bassisgreat

That's some pretty heavy duty photoshopping you did there! :D

funnily enough I came to that very conclusion myself!

cut is made now she is curvier than dawn french the day after easter!

Edited by joshvegas