Polishing/buffing By Hand?

Possible? I wouldn't see why not, but I might as well ask, just in case. If I could avoid buying the buffing pads from stewmac, that'd be good, seeing as how i'm pressed for money.

I saw a guy polish his guitar using only swirl remover on youtube... by hand. and I was just wondering how effective this would be as opposed to polishing with the polishing compounds and buffing pads.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

It can be done by hand, just takes a little longer. I used a two-part auto poly clear, and only hand buffing for the final finishing.

If I remember right, I used Meguire's Fine cut, swirl remover, Scratch-X, and then Show Car Glaze - all by hand. Came out with an awesome Mirror/Gloss finish!

When I finally got to polishing up the body on my telecaster, I did it all by hand. I wet-sanded up to 3000 grit, then used Maguires on it. I don't remember which product, but the finish was nice & reflective. The ONLY thing it has that I wish wasn't there were some swirl marks, but they're only visible when you're really looking for them at an extreme angle.

So... is it possible to do it all by hand? Dang straight!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've done it by hand with really good results, but it's a real workout.

I then tried one of those foam pads but it left alot of swirl marks and didn't work as well as doing it by hand.

Easier yes ... good results, no.

I finally decided to go with the StewMac buffing arbor setup and I'm glad I did.

If you're just doing one guitar, you should be fine doing it by hand.

But if you do alot of guitars, I'd recommend the StewMac buffing arbor. :D

DSC00139a.jpg

Edited by DGW

For giggles I did one completely by hand with no compounds. I started wetsanding with 800 grit paper (& soapy water) and worked up to 2000, then switched to Micromesh pads going up to 12000. It only took about an hour and a half sitting in front of the TV. It turned out pretty well I think.

click

th_bluetele015.jpg

You can see the reflection of the bridge in the top.

For giggles I did one completely by hand with no compounds. I started wetsanding with 800 grit paper (& soapy water) and worked up to 2000, then switched to Micromesh pads going up to 12000. It only took about an hour and a half sitting in front of the TV. It turned out pretty well I think.

click

th_bluetele015.jpg

That turned out nice, but isn't 800 grit a bit aggressive to start with? :D

I leveled mine with 320 and started wetsanding with 400. It turned out fine. It'd depend on the thicknes of the finish if you'd sand through or not. I suppose I'm fortunate I laid it kinda thick.

click

th_bluetele015.jpg

Apparently not. :D

I leveled mine with 320 and started wetsanding with 400. It turned out fine. It'd depend on the thicknes of the finish if you'd sand through or not. I suppose I'm fortunate I laid it kinda thick.

Holy crap! :D

• 2 months later...