Looking For A Cheap Tremolo

I'm looking for a tremolo for one of my son's guitars. I came across this on ebay and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Ebay link to cheap "Floyd Rose" knock off

Any comments?

Its a cheap Floyd Rose knockoff that has nothing to do with the real thing. Most of these things of pieces of crap, not worthy of being associated with the FR name. :D

Just get a good non locking trem if you want to save some money. For most guitar players that want a trem, its all you really need.

How old is your son? If he's not doing crazy divebomb stuff, he shouldn't have too much of a problem. Some people have moderate success with these things. I've heard that you can really improve their tuning stability by putting chapstick on the knife edges (the posts the tremolo rests on). Yeah, floyds are the best things in the world but will it really be worth 200- 300 dollars?

Edited by bluesman94

c'mon guys. 170 is not cheap. the whole point of the post was to find a cheap floyd. cheap meaning alt least under 70 bucks. even that is still expensive to me.

50 + Shipping is a lot of money too, especially if you're going to be dissapointed with the product and will need a replacement.

c'mon guys. 170 is not cheap. the whole point of the post was to find a cheap floyd. cheap meaning alt least under 70 bucks. even that is still expensive to me.

50 + Shipping is a lot of money too, especially if you're going to be dissapointed with the product and will need a replacement.

Seriously $50? I thought maybe $20. It only cost me $16 shipping to get a box of stuff (about the same size + weight of an OFR would come in) to get to my mail box.

Maybe just get a good strat trem and do what this guy does http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showt...loating+vintage

Edited by steel8909

If you enjoy mechanical things think about making one yourself, alot of work and prescion but it is not impossible and can be very rewarding, as well as allowing you to tailor the trem to your guitar rather than the other way around. Right now me and a buddy of mine are beginning one for a bass he wants to build.

Thanks for all of the info!

I guess I should have given more background. My son is 10 years old and this was his first guitar. He was wanting to do something fun with it so he wanted to do something like EVH's guitar. The guitar is a beater at the moment, so I don't want to sink too much into it.