Practice Neck

Okay, well this summer I plan on making two guitars. One for my brother, a 12 string Vox teardrop, and one for me, most likely a semihollow neck through bass. The teardrop will come first, as it's obviously the easiest. Seeing how this will be my second guitar and my first try at a neck, I plan on making a practice neck first.

Now, my first question. Should I actually put money into the neck so I have a finished neck for future builds? Or is it not worth it. I did'nt want to buy wood for my practice neck, so it's made from one of the hundreds of planks of cherry I had in my backyard (that I made my first guitar out of). I don't know whether using cherry for a neck is in any way detrimental to the strength of it, that wasn't something I was too worried about seeing how it's just practice. But now I want to know if I can actually use it. I'm going to order parts for the teardrop soon and I'd like to include the hardware for this neck if you guys think it's actually worth it. I'm absolutely sure I'd be able to use the neck later, for some other build (Not the teardrop, cause it's going to be a 12 string and I'd rather make a multi-peice neck with stronger woods for the extra tension)

Second question. Does the location of the truss rod parallel to the neck matter? I plan on using the box type construction truss rods, seeing how it's so much simpler... But I have'nt seen any information on where to start/end the channel. I assume that it doesn't really matter at all, that you just place it as far up so that the adjustment is accesible, but I wanted to be sure.

Third question. What's the deal with volutes?? I've read quite a few places that its supposed to increase the strength of the neck and that it's highly recommended. But I got that Benedetto archtop book from the library for info on neck construction, and he says it doesn't do anything at all and it's detrimental to the player anyways. What do you guys think?

I'll post pics of my progress after I actually get somewhere. Right now all I did is glue on the angled headstock and draw out the neck shape and dimensions. I can't really do all that much until I know if I'm actually gonna put parts and a nice fretboard on it.

Thanks.

I like volutes, personally. They feel nice, and it's a nice guide to your hand to let you know you've reached the end of the fretboard. I dunno, just feels nice to me.

And of course, it's harder to do than just slapping on an angled headstock, which might have reinforced the idea that they're a sign of a high quality guitar.

And you're right in what you hear, that there's the benefit of reinforcing the headstock join, seeing as it's a thin area to begin with and then you're taking a chunk out for the truss rod channel/access point. I'd love to hear what the legendary Bendetto has to say about it being detrimental to the player... :D

as for cherry it is a very strong would and would be great for a 1 or multi piece neck and some really like the color of it too. If you want you could make the neck as good as you can and if you like then why not use it for this build? If you don't like it then build another. That's just my opinion.

Alright then, I guess I'll buy the parts!

Dudz, there's another reason that I won't use this neck. The headstock area doesn't give me that much extra room to hold 12 tuners... So this one's just for later.

Anyone up for answering the truss rod question?

Thanks!

Oh, and here's what Benedetto wrote:

"A volute, which is structurally unnecessary, can also be a detriment to player and therefore is not advisable"

Seeing how it's a practice neck I might as well try it, eh? An added challenge.

I've recently guilt my project bass completely from 2x6 boards of pine. Just scrapped em together, and started working. It was incredibly valuable as a practice session.

Don't use the cherry! That wood is quite nice and certainly valuable as an actual instrument. Just go buy a length of a 2x6 or 2x8, and "build" a guitar from it. It's scrap, so you can make mistakes, redo things, practice the neck pocket a couple times, practice shaping the radius of the neck's back, and practice the volute and how big you want it.

And when you make a mistake on the pine board mockup, you won't feel bad about wasting the cherry.

Another benefit of the pine model, is checking for balance and comfort. You might find you want the forearm contour deeper or shallower, or the top strap button further forward, or relocate the control knobs, or countless little adjustments to your design.

It should cost you $15 for an 8 foot section of a 2x8, and it will prove valuable by the end.

Make a practice neck first with cheap lumber. I have just begun making necks and finishing one is very rewarding.

I am not sure how a volute it would be detrimental to a player either. In fact, as Xanthus said, I like the way it kind of makes a "home base" for your hand. And besides, I think they look cool

Edited by madawgony

I don't think you guys realize that I've already started working on the neck : P

Besides, I have enough cherry in my backyard to build a house out of. And the piece I used was actually very small, pretty much just big enough for the neck. So It's not like I am wasting anything, really.

As for practice on the body, I don't think I need it. For all the routing, this time around, I'll be making templates, (and testing them) and the teardrop design is very simple. I'll be carving the top a little though, and I'll practice a bit o' carving on something else before that.