Evx Ii Dominator Redesign

I posted this for the GOTM but I'm really interested in what everyone thinks. I know this is not an overly large pointy guitar site but I still value everyones opinions and feedback.

It's a redesign of my EVX model with a slimmer body and sharper lines. I was going to be a guitar for me so the specs are my personal favorites (minus the finish.) I started to finish it a flat black but a friend offered me a deal on it so it got the stone finish they were interested in.

Feel free to rip'er apart.

Wood:

Solid Maple

Neck:

Maple with Rosewood board

25.5" scale

12" radius

24 Dunlop Jumbo frets

Pearl Dots

Schaller Tuners

Dual action truss rod

ZDG Bat Wing reverse headstock!!!!

Electronics:

Guitarheads active pickup

flat mount jack

Battery box

Orange drop cap

1 tone, no volume

Cover plate is smoked Lexan so you can see the electronics

Bridge:

Leo Quan Bass Ass bridge with Schallar fine tuner attachment

This is why I used the locking nut. I wanted the ultimate in tuning stability and thought this would be a cool idea to try.

Finish:

Textured stone with a matte hardcoat

On to the fun!

Stone_08.jpg

Stone_07.jpg

Stone_01.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...le/Stone_05.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...le/100_3874.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...le/Stone_06.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...le/Stone_03.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...le/Stone_02.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...le/Stone_04.jpg

Edited by zyonsdream

Whooooooaaaaaah.

Now we're talking about some serious originality!!!

I'd shred that sucka on a stage.

Wait.

No.

I'm a bassist. :D

I'm toootally showing this to my guitar players. \m/ \m/

kind of looks like a different take on this

ibanez-xv500-3.jpg

i like the OP's interpretation a lot though.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

The Ibanez XV500 was in the back of my mind when I designed this, along with the explorer but the VXV500 is much smaller and much rounder in shape (at least in person) My take on the design gives a lot more mass and cleaner lines but that’s just my opinion!

as cool and clean that guitar looks, it won't get enough viotes on the GOTM...only les pauls and prs clones win there ;)hehehe

funny, out of my 3 wins only one of them had a blue (actually teal) figured maple top!!! :D

I like the look of this guitar - although i would have liked to see less square looking bevels - maybe more graduated and organic.. although i do like the big block of cut stone look

Not the kind of guitar I'd play (I'm just not a pointy guy) but I will admit to drooling.

Are the bevels just done with a chamfer bit? I think I'd like it better with a more "organic" beveling - still the sharp definition you've got, but something akin to an SG, where the depth of the bevel changes as it goes around the body. (Am I making sense? I believe I might be saying the same thing as Wez?)

That said, perhaps that look wouldn't work at all on the instrument - it's hard to say what it might look like. But it does look killer. I love the simplicity of it all. It's just as much guitar as it needs to be.

The headstock appears to be a matching finish (and with the bevels too!) That helps make it. (Love a better shot of that, BTW)

Any info on the finish? I'm surprised at how cool that looks...

Anyway, great job!

The only close up picture of the headstock washed out. I'd shoot another shot but I have no way to get it on the computer right now, I just packed my docking station for my trip to Disney tomorrow. So, I took one with the trusty mobile phone!

IMG00222.jpg

I used a 45 degree chamfer bit to to the bevels. I've done organic bevels on this shape before and it looks okay but I was really going for an early 80's style metal look; sort of retro looking. I wanted sharp lines to really make the stone paint pop and give an authentic look.

The headstock got the same 45 degree angle (but this headstock always gets angled, as you can see in this picture)

100_1192.jpg

The paint is really no secret. I use Krylon stone paint (they make many colors) and then I shoot it with a matte finish from Krylon. Since it's textured, there's no buffing! Makes life easy and my customer base seems to love the finishes! But... my customer base is 99.99% metal heads who like pointy guitars...pointy guitars attract pointy guitar players! LOL

Edited by zyonsdream

as cool and clean that guitar looks, it won't get enough viotes on the GOTM...only les pauls and prs clones win there ;)hehehe

funny, out of my 3 wins only one of them had a blue (actually teal) figured maple top!!! :D

I like the look of this guitar - although i would have liked to see less square looking bevels - maybe more graduated and organic.. although i do like the big block of cut stone look

You don't need a maple top to build a PRS or a Les Paul :D and let's face it, we guitarists are VERY traditional, and there are very few of us who like pointy guitars B) I'm sure everybody here have heard people slamming Bc Rich for having "only pointy guitars" but we all know Bc Rich have very PRS ish looking guitars and super strats and other designs :D

You don't need a maple top to build a PRS or a Les Paul :D and let's face it, we guitarists are VERY traditional, and there are very few of us who like pointy guitars B) I'm sure everybody here have heard people slamming Bc Rich for having "only pointy guitars" but we all know Bc Rich have very PRS ish looking guitars and super strats and other designs :D

sorry, i may have been expanding on previous 'GOTM as beauty contest' discussions where the concensus seemed to be that you need a PRS or LP shape with highly figured maple top and a blue finish to be a winner