Les Paul help.

JackyB

I'm seriously at a complete loss as of what to do. First of all I need a template for the body. I've been told there's one in the "download" section of this website. Being the idiot I am, can't find the download section.

I plan on making the final body with mahogony, but for now I'm going to use up an old maple door that's been in my garage for about a year. How thick of wood am I going to need to make it a carved top? And do I just do one big hunk of wood to start it, or do I need to split it, or what? Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Use the maple for the top. Bookmatch it if you can.

Okay, from what I understand bookmatching is when you cut it through the z dimension, and fold it open and glue those together so the wood design is symetrical. Is this correct?

So I'll be needing a block of wood that is twice as thick as the actualy guitar body? Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to all of this.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

typically it has a solid back (usually mahogany) and a maple top. Cut the maple in half thicknes wise, then glue to look symetrical. Dot worry about asking too many questions. Glad to help.....will link you some pics later. Gotta frost a cake for wife's potluck tomarrow.

Hmm... How much do you think is a fair amount to donate? I couldn't find anything on ebay. I found these dimensions:

Body length: 17"

Body thickness: The basic body was mahogany 1-7/8" thick with a glued on hardwood top close to 1/2" thick at its peak of the carved top.

Standard Gibson neck scale: Scale length is 24-11/16" on the treble side, and 24-13/16" on the bass side

Width at top bout: 8-15/16"

Width at waist: 7-1/16"

Width at bottom bout 12-1/2"

And this picture, which can be expanded to scale and used as a template:

lps.gif

So what dimensions of which wood do I need?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

400 posts!!!...anyway my donation will be after the holidays. The wife thought like $5 a month was a good idea for us...I love her. Canuk...which one? The hideous apparatus?

Check this out, pretty damn cool. It sounds really cool going from the Dmaj7 to the Cm9.

It's cool how you can like hear it start to lock in http://www.selftuning.com/video/tuning_example.htm

OMG! That's cool as hell! :D Probably cost a fortune though.

Yeah, I'd imagine it would probably cost more than the guitar they put it on, but I can't find any sort of estimate on exactly how much they run for. I'd imagine anywhere around $3,000 to $4,000.