Sanding A Neck...

It's been a long while, guys and gals. The twins got born and BAM, no more time to build. I still have my project carefully stored, but it's gonna be a while.

But now to the point. I just laid my hands on a Schecter C1, a pretty nice set neck deallie, and I want to sand the finish off the neck, but I think it's wise to check with you good folks before I do any damage. Will sanding the neck cause any drastic changes in stability? Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, why do you want to sand the finish off?

probably because its gloss and feels slick, and he wants it to feel more smooth and less dragging.

isnt refinishing a little drastic couldn't he just go over it with some 600 grit and knock some of the shine off?

Well, why do you want to sand the finish off?

probably because its gloss and feels slick, and he wants it to feel more smooth and less dragging.

isnt refinishing a little drastic couldn't he just go over it with some 600 grit and knock some of the shine off?

he diddnt really say he wanted to refinish it, he just said he wanted to sand off the finish. you could just do that, but i guess we need to know why he wants to. but i really dont think it matters.

What if you (meaning me) want to thin the profile of a neck? I have an Agile LP copy that feels like a baseball bat and want to thin it out. Any tutorials or what to watch out for? TIA.

It's been discussed before, so you should be able to find info. I've done it a couple of times. But you'll need to refinish the neck if you reshape it.

One thing I'd suggest is first to try to identify what part of the neck feels too fat for you --it can be different things. One one neck I reshaped, all it really needed was a millimeter off the sides of the fretboard (so like, only half a millimeter on each side, if that). It then became a very comfortable neck. On another neck, I needed to do that but I also added a slight V shape to it -- that allowed me to keep away from the wood below the truss rod (which you really don't want to touch since you don't know how deep it's been routed for the truss rod).

The first neck didn't need to be refinished, since I'd only touched the (rosewood) fretboard. The second neck needed to be refinished, but I was refinishing the whole guitar anyway.

Sexybeast needs to tell us why he wants to attack the finish--if it's just a question of touch, then I'd just rough it up a bit with a little steelwool.

Not that he's going to have time to build anyway. In about five years, things will get easier. Congrats on the kids!

• 2 weeks later...