Body Redesign

101_0994.jpg

101_0996.jpg

Or nobody cares. I suppose that's another option. :D

Anyhoo.... pic one is the back with the ferrules lying in thier seats. The hole for them is about 1/32"-1/16" bigger than the ferrules themselves. I don't know if this is standard or not, but that's as close as it's ever going to get with me, because that's the size of the forstner bit I have. As I saud yesterday morning, I know now that I shouldn't have done a 1/4" roundover on the edges of the neck pocket. It forced the ferrules in a little too far. I still don't think it'll be a huge deal, but now I know for next time.

The second pic is the top moistened with mineral spirits. You can see the slight carve on the bass horn. It's just a little bit beveled, but not too much. Just enough to sharpen it up a bit.

On a different note, you can see that the wood is a LOT darker on the trebel side. That's not excess wetting - that's the wood. I haven't seen this in mahogany before. Although I think it's neat, I'm glad it's getting painted. It just wouldn't look right with the variation there.

Maybe I'll post another couple of pics later. Maybe not.

101_0995.jpg

101_0999.jpg

The second pic is a lesson learned. I drilled the pilot for the jack hole before doing the holes for the bridge posts, but my aim was off. Had I done the bridge post holes first, their placement would have been fresh in my mind and I'd NOT have aimed the input jack directly at the post hole. Fortunately, it's going to be painted, so nobody will ever see the putty.

FWIW: I sanded it up to 220 last night. It's now ready for the grain fill sometime this week.

Okey-dokey... it's all grainfilled and finish sanded. I started primering it this evening - just a couple light mistings of flat white primer. By this time next week, the clear coat should be curing. Not like anyone is really paying any attention, but I'll post a progress pic when the primer is all done.

I'm payin' attention. I think it's a cool little guitar. :D

Thanks, dude. I know folks are looking from the number of hits the topic has, but nobody's responding. Then again, I'm not asking anything - just posting progress.

I gotta tell ya - I'm really jazzed up about this. The tele was a blast, but it was mainly assembly. This is my first scratch-build. I can hardly wait until I plug it in for the first time and hit a power-A chord. :D

Cool, I'm stuck on mine for the moment, moved out and now can't afford a 30 dollar router bit lol.

I've seen those pickups before, it's like two humbuckers stuck together right? How's that sound? or have you not had a chance to hear it yet?

The pup is a Kramer quad-rail. You're right - it's a pair of mini-rails wired up as a regular HB. I was only able to hear it in the other body, which was plywood, so I can't give an accurate response to it's sound. For what it was, it sounded OK. I'd wager it'll sound tons better in a real wood body. What I can say is that it's HOT. This thing cranks out some power. Go figure.

The router ate every corner on the piece. Both of the semi-abrupt curves where the bridge is have major tearout. One horn has severe tearout, the other was ripped completely off the body!

When working with a dense and hard wood like Jatoba or even Maple, before you bring a router to it, try to cut the body about an extra 1mm from the final size. If you can't get it that close with your bandsaw, sand it down.

Making sure the router bits are clean and sharp also helps.

Seems to work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I was more than a little optomistic and more than a little forgetful when I said I'd have it painted up by last weekend. My kids were with me from 29-June through 7-June for some Summer visitation. When they're with me, I don't get ANYTHING done; it all gets pushed aside. Priorities... you know.

Anyway, it's finally primered up. I should be able to sand it down tomorrow night and get to the painting.

JUMPIN' BAJEEZERS!!!! What in the heck is this????

101_1146.jpg

I got all the yellow sprayed even and sanded down smooth with some 320 grit. When I brushed on the first (and apparently LAST!) coat of lacquer, the paint wrinkled up like there's no tomorrow!

Here's exactly what's on the wood in order:

Colorplace spray can white primer

Colorplace spray can grey primer (I ran out of white & didn't want to go back to the store)

Krylon indoor/outdoor gloss Sun Yellow

Minwax brush-on lacquer

Why did it wrinkle up like that?

When that happened, I put some brush-on poly on the headstock. I knew the poly wouldn't do anything to the paint because that's what I used on the Christmas Ax. By stark contrast, THIS went on just perfect.

101_1150.jpg

I know I'm hosed. I'm going to have to wait until the lacquer dries enough to sand it off. That's probably going to take a bunch of the paint with it, so repainting will be necessary. Clearly, I'm NEVER going to use lacquer on spray paint again, but I still need to know what happened.

This is why I quit using Krylon - one time it would work, next time not. Even after waiting 48 hours (per Krylon). Learned to stick with the golden rule - you can put anything on top of lacquer, but you can't put lacquer on top of anything - except lacquer. Different manufacturer's, blah, blah - you've done enough to know this stuff. Some people are actually paying for "alligator skin" finishes like this with the bottom wrinkled, sanded down and clear coated smooth. I FEEL YOUR PAIN

• 1 month later...

wip14.jpg

wip15.jpg

It took me long enough, but the thing has been completely re-painted and the last of 4 coats of poly was finished up last night. Now it needs to sit for a couple of weeks to cure, then it can be buffed out and put together. The re-paint is seen next to it, and it's in the same status as the Tulip.