Stratocaster Build

You are correct I'm a high schooler but the only jobs that i can walk to are work at a nursing home or work at a gas station with a person you want to throw out into the highway. I own a router, just not any bits for the router

Hm, sounds like faster money than collecting scrap metal :D... but to each his own!

In both cases, less expensive than Stew-Mac.

Thanks for sharing that! Doh, I should know that Stewmac is overpriced on everything!

+1 to THAT!!!

I was looking at prices for neck ferrules (instead of a neck plate) in the catalog. They have a forstner bit for the recess hole listed at $13.59! You can get a whole set for +/- $20 at a box hardware store. Yea... on a LOT of stuff they're just highway robbery.

P.R.Luke:

RE: router bits

I only got two words for ya....

e

bay

• 2 weeks later...

I cut the poplar today so that it was into two 20" long pieces and then I trimmed up the edges using a tablesaw to make it nice and square and glued it up today.

EDIT: I've decided to go for the pricier ($95 more if you want to be exact) custom handwired pickguard from guitar fetish. It may be more costly but if it costs that much more it is probably a whole lot better quality than if I went with the $40 pre wired one. Plus I could go with the fender style humbuckers if I wanted to.

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

I cut the poplar today so that it was into two 20" long pieces and then I trimmed up the edges using a tablesaw to make it nice and square and glued it up today.

In my experience, a table saw is NOT a good tool for truing wood. If the wood wanders even a little, those teeth are going to cut on a new plane. Better to use a hand plane.

But hopefully it went well for you. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm am about $1.50 away (not counting shipping) from having enough money to order the pickguard and the bridge from GFS.

I'm trying to locate a bandsaw to cut out the body. My friend scott has one but we'd have to cut out the body one side at a time because it is a small bandsaw.

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well i finally am updating this the little bandsaw couldn't handle the wood so I'm trying another guy from my church who has a big enough bandsaw.

I also ordered the original pickguard I was going to go with because I found out that I could not order the custom one with the pickups I wished to. I am alsogoing to just buy a pre-fretted rosewood fretboard and save the cocobolo fretboard for my next project (more on that later on).

• 1 year later...

First new update in... forever.

The main body has been palne by the shop teacher at school and the quilted maple glued down. I cut out the 1/4 maple on my youth pastors scrollsaw yesterday and was sanding it down.. I now need to sand the body(specifically the horns), fill dents/tool marks, sand again and mark out cavities and the pickguard. ( It's a P.O.R.) I need to finish sanding the neck then get my fretboard slotted and fretted.

Can anyone reccomend whether I shoould go with traditional bone or a brass nut?

It's getting there slowly but surely! :D

I am finally getting the old pics back up and putting some new pics up. I'll have the ones of the cut out body and with the top glued attatched later today.

Progress. the body had been cut out around may last year. then this build kinda took a back burneron the list of priorities. Then I recently had the shop teacher plan the badly cupped body level, then I discovered that one of the halves of my maple top was cupped as well. I set 4 paving stones atop it and wetted it down. Two days later it was still slightly cupped but not so bad that I couldn't glue down the top. Once the glue had dried I used my youth pastors scrollsaw to cut the top to the profile. I have been sanding it and I am kinda freehanding it down the fender shape. I'm going to jerry-rig something to sand the inside of the horns though.

I believe that the heel of my strat knockoff neck is slightly longer after testing the template I have printed out. I will have to either shorten the heel a bit or lengthen the pocket a bit (The latter option seems like a less daft choice) I am going to compare it to an actual stratocasters neck and test fit it into plywood "neck pockets" before I do anything :D

I have to get the $15-20 to pay for my fretboard to be slotted and then it'll just be fretting, finishing, and then :D

Cocobolo fretboard

cocobolofretboardblank.jpg

Quilted Maple top;

quiltedmapletop-1.jpg

Body blank glued up:

100_1235.jpg

As you will see later on I glued the top on wrong, however it was intentionally done. I did it that way because the pickguard would've covered the nice bits. and the way i had it glued one weird thing in the grain would be part of the neck pocket and would therefore no longer be there.

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

• 4 months later...

Well it seems I have horrible timing to get back to work on this as I leave for college at Iowa state next week.

I'm going to try and mark out the neck cavity and drill it out. Since I never really had a good enough template to begin with I have no obvious centerline to refer to besides the join of my topwood,which is in "the middle", this will be tricky. I'm going to have a friend help me eyeball it to where "it looks right", then stare at it for an hour and re-mark it if I have to. Hell I may not even try to work on it at all. Since I'll be off to college. I'll have to manage my money so I probably won't be ordering templates or anything. I may buy some cheap shite strat body off the bay and use that as a reference.

Any suggestions/better ideas on how to approach this?

EDIT: well I just found a image of a stratocaster plan and it showed that the centerline in 6 3/8 from the left edge of the lower part of the guitar, and 6 5/16 to the other, so I'm going to be marking the centerline and going from there.

Edited by PunkRockerLuke