Stratocaster Build

I'm getting starting on my Stratocaster guitar build.

Parts

Quilted Maple Top

quiltedmapletop.jpg

Cocobolo Fretboard

cocobolofretboardblank.jpg

Alder or Poplar body

GFS Black pre-wired H/H pickguard

GFS Chrome top mount hardtail bridge

Chrome hardware

Chrome Strat jack plate

I will be mounting the jack plate on the backside of the guitar and I also will be omitting the last 3 frets

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

When I was removing the frets from the nasty cheapo fretboard I kind of ended up scratching and bending a couple of the frets so I'm going to use the lower frets to replace the ones that I trashed.

Won't that look kinda funny, with the three last frets missing... I think it will look like just that, that they are missing, not as a cool design feature...Why not buy some new fretwire and replace them (or use new fretwire for all the frets for that matter)?

Love the topwood by the way....

Grz Arjan

I don't want to buy new fretwire because , well, I'm a cheap-arsch right now. I'm trying to collect enough scrap metal (LEGALLY) so i can buy the parts I need as fast as I can. I'll probably put a nice inlay in the spot though.

(I'm of dutch descent so it's nice to meet someone from the Netherlands)

I don't want to buy new fretwire because , well, I'm a cheap-arsch right now. I'm trying to collect enough scrap metal (LEGALLY) so i can buy the parts I need as fast as I can. I'll probably put a nice inlay in the spot though.

(I'm of dutch descent so it's nice to meet someone from the Netherlands)

Well it's nice to meet someone from the States from Dutch descent :D

Your guitar would look something like this:

F032-1660-537.jpg

(I know your sratchplate will be black, but I'm no wizard with PhotoShop by any means....so I left it the way it was)

I like the idea of putting the jackplate on the back, as you can see on the picture, it will give your guitar a cleaner look

But I still think the fretboard would look funny (even with a nice inlay), 2 feet of fretwire would set you back about $3 to $4.... so I would collect some extra scrap metal and go for a full-fretted fretboard...

Grz form the Netherlands... Arjan

????, Pulling and reusing fretwire???

I'd have to agree, that sounds like a mess. What are the chances that the frets will match the width of the neck? If they overhang, do you know how to deal with that? If they're too short, what then?

I'm reusing the neck, I didn't like the fretboard that was on it, especially since it was urinated on by my mom's cat. I didn't exactly pull the fret i just broke the board into pieces I had to hammer four or five out and those are the ones that I ruined. I have lists made which I re-write nearly everyday. And as for a list of parts I have a folder in my favorites with links to guitarfetish for parts and a link to stewmac for finishing supplies.

So far I need to:

1) Collect scrap metal and use cash earned to buy parts and supplies needed. (a whole nother list)

2) Either buy or borrow router bits and practice routing cavities in plywood or particleboard until I feel ready to route on guitar body.

3) Find someone to help with the fretwork.

4) Find someone willing to either let me use their bandsaw to cut out the body shape or will cut it for me if they are not comfortable with letting me use their power tools.

5) Find someone able to spray finish onto guitar.

As I've learned from here and from experience building an electric guitar that looks good, plays well, and sounds good will take more than a month, if not even half a year to even a whole year to finish from planning to finishing.

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

It sounds like you're on the right track.

Forgive me if what I'm about to say is inaccurate... I am assuming you're a high school student. My sincere apologies if you aren't. But if you are, there is a simpler way to get money. Get a job; if you're in high school, you have no bills, so you'll have cash rolling in in no time and you'll have plenty to buy decent hardware etc.

A jigsaw is always an option for cutting out the body. You won't get a perpendicular cut (the blade flexes from side to side), but you can clean it up with a template and a bearing bit.

If you won't splurge on new fretwire for your axe, I doubt you can afford to buy a few router bits. :D The one you want (the one I use anyway, a flush cutting bearing bit) is about $25 from Stewmac. You can build a guitar without a router (I've done it), but there's no substitute for a well-fretted and dressed neck!

Edited by Geo

If you're going to buy router bits, try routerbits.com or mlcswoodworking.com . Free shipping in both cases, if I'm not mistaken, and good quality bits. Preference is routerbits.com (Whiteside bits, which are the best.) But MLCS sells good quality stuff too. In both cases, less expensive than Stew-Mac.

Edited by Rick500

I'm reusing the neck, I didn't like the fretboard that was on it, especially since it was urinated on by my mom's cat. I didn't exactly pull the fret i just broke the board into pieces I had to hammer four or five out and those are the ones that I ruined. I have lists made which I re-write nearly everyday. And as for a list of parts I have a folder in my favorites with links to guitarfetish for parts and a link to stewmac for finishing supplies.

So far I need to:

1) Collect scrap metal and use cash earned to buy parts and supplies needed. (a whole nother list)

2) Either buy or borrow router bits and practice routing cavities in plywood or particleboard until I feel ready to route on guitar body.

3) Find someone to help with the fretwork.

4) Find someone willing to either let me use their bandsaw to cut out the body shape or will cut it for me if they are not comfortable with letting me use their power tools.

5) Find someone able to spray finish onto guitar.

As I've learned from here and from experience building an electric guitar that looks good, plays well, and sounds good will take more than a month, if not even half a year to even a whole year to finish from planning to finishing.

I wish I had known you needed fret wire, I could've added some in the box with the top :D

MK

Edited by MiKro