Neck Mounting Ferulles/sockets

Greetings!

I have a question regarding neck mounting ferrules. My luthier is building a project based on Tom Anderson guitars, and i wander how many neck ferrules are lets say enough for neck mounting...

I founded THESE on Stewmac.

Would they be good regarding dimensions, how many would you put on your guitar?

Thank you very much!

Edited by Mitjovan

Those are the once I use everytime I do a bolt on neck. I use four of them. No need to use more than that.

I used 5 and 6 on the two different guitars but ONLY because the necks had long tenons and ONLY because I liked the way it looked with the extra screws. Otherwise, Fender made a lot of guitars with just three bolts. And I know I've seen photos of 50s-era guitars with just one or two bolts. If the neck pocket is perfectly tight (and it should be if a luthier is building the guitar) then it becomes less of an issue.

Unless it's a Fender in which case the extra room in the pocket allows repair guys to shim the neck into proper alignment. :D

I'm sure those tolerances weren't built in for that purpose however!

Yeah, I've never understood that tilting system they build into the heel....it's like they're admitting that there's a good chance the neck won't be properly aligned with the bridge....

Well, there'll always be arguments for and against. I personally think that reducing the face-to-face coupling of the heel to the pocket is an exercise in madness. I'm sure that the replace-ability of Fender neck to Fender neck is a good thing (apart from the difference in Tele/Strat heels) as the mix and match approach is great. The downside of that will be tolerances between two pieces of work which were probably made in different factories with inherent minor differences in spec over time/location. Plus I think that neck screws going straight into wood is much more likely to result in some alignment difference anyway. I prefer tight and flat neck pockets, clamping, drilling and locating with screws, ferrules and threaded inserts, then relaxing the pocket slightly to allow for finish thickness to drop over the edges.

I have to say that I love the Stratobastard in June's GOTM, and it came a very close second to Jyrki's Tele. I don't dislike Fender or their designs, although I feel they don't innovate any more, but then again, I don't really think any of the major players really innovate as the market is safe, bought and paid for already. Innovating is the remit of independant/boutique luthiers, and I prefer it that grassroot way.

Anyway - we're perhaps getting a little offtopic....

Mitjovan: What is the size of the heel face, and the size of your neck pocket? Four is the most common number used as mentioned, although nothing apart from the practical size of the heel/pocket is preventing you from using however many you want. Too few (2-3) may be a bad choice, although more will not hurt unless you're compromising the stability of the neck pocket by chewing it up with lots of holes and recesses for ferrules :-D