Spanish Cedar Lp(s)

Okay, so I have so extremely nice curly Spanish cedar, and a bunch of rosewood, birdseye maple, mahogany etc. What I am planning on doing for my next electric guitar project is making a curly spanish cedar topped les paul with a birdseye maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. I will be making two of these probably (maybe three partly because I want a les paul style guitar, and partly because the curly Spanish cedar is insane.) Nothing is final though, I may decide to only build one I don't know.

Currently, though some rough specs are; Spanish cedar top poplar or ash body. Birdseye maple or Curly maple maple neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Spanish Cedar peghead overlay. Custom inlays. HH pickups. 2 volume 2 tone 1 3way. handwound pickups. natural finish. satin chrome hardware. b/w/b binding. carved top.

I hope these work out, and I cant wait to start posting some pics up tomorrow or this weekend.

-Carousel

DSC00378.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSC00379.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSC00380.jpg

Wow. That is one snazzy top....

This should be a pretty interesting-sounding build as well, cedar on ash with a maple/rosewood neck. I really don't know how to envision it sounding, but I'd sure like to find out. Any specs on the pickups?

And where did you get that LP plan? It looks very spot-on.

Good luck!

I've been looking around for an old sewing machine (stealthily; don't want to alert anyone that I might embark on yet another crazy project) that I could cannibalize into a pickup winder. They're easy enough to find, but I'm trying to think of what I could use to count the revolutions when it spins, so I could monitor the winds....

I have a lathe which I'd imagine would be perfect for this. The only thing is I'm not sure how to count revolutions. I guess that I could just set it to 1000 rpms (1000 is just a number I'm not sure how fast I'll set it.) and wind for x minutes until I've reached the number of winds I want but that wont be too accurate because it wont initially spin at 1000 rpms.

Edited by carousel182

I've been looking around for an old sewing machine (stealthily; don't want to alert anyone that I might embark on yet another crazy project) that I could cannibalize into a pickup winder. They're easy enough to find, but I'm trying to think of what I could use to count the revolutions when it spins, so I could monitor the winds....

You can also just clamp a hand-drill to the workbench and make something that will fit in the chuck and hold the bobbin. Don't bother counting windings, just wind until the bobbin is full! :D

This is about as much progress as I've made (I don't have any ash and mahogany, walnut, poplar, more spanish cedar, maple, rosewood, or zebrawood are not what I had in mind.) I should be making a run to the lumber yard this weekend to pick up some nice ash. tomorrow I'll work on designing my neck. and possibly cleaning up some of this nice curly maple I have and getting a fingerboard slotted and inlayed (probably not inlayed, I'm going to go with block inlays I think but I also think that it would be a little too much pearl for this.)

DSC00384.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

to count windings you can get a cheap calculator and solder a NO momentary switch to the "=" sign. You then set the switch up so every time it gets hit by the pickup's bobbin it is triggered. You then push 1+1 on the calculator and youre good to go

does that work? sounds interesting do u think u could get a pic up?

to count windings you can get a cheap calculator and solder a NO momentary switch to the "=" sign. You then set the switch up so every time it gets hit by the pickup's bobbin it is triggered. You then push 1+1 on the calculator and youre good to go

I...... think I see it in my head. Do you have a picture of this, if you've done it? I might be able to rig up something similar.

Yeah I've tried the counter thing. Its pretty cool. I havent actually soldered it up yet or even get a proper switch but its cool. You don't even need a fancy calculator, got mine at the dollar store.

Carousel: Thats gonna be one classy lookin thing! Lovin the cedar! Just make sure your not breathing in the dust from the cedar because I think its pretty toxic stuff.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't really started this build yet because 1) I was on vacation and 2) I haven't gotten any ash yet. I hope to get some ash this week so that I can machine it and start working on this guitar.

right now this is what I'm thinking of doing for the guitar wood wise

ash back

curly maple neck

spanish cedar top

rosewood fretboard

spanish cedar headplate

DSCN0666-1.jpg

Edited by carousel182