Echo Delay

John Abbett

Guys/Gals.

I'm thinking about working on some Brian Setzer stuff. He uses a delay pedal to get the Rockabilly sound. The book I bought says 150MS delay 1 time for his stuff, but it doesn't say which one.

Money is an object, if a cheaper ones does the same thing, then I don't want to spend extra on name brand.

Do any of you use one? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

-John

IMO decent slapback delay can be had by most delays, its on the longer delay and repeats that a bad delay shows why its a bad delay.

most analog delays would do a good slapback (but you miss out on the longer delays digitals can do)

Any cheap delay will do this....but don't cheap out if you want to expand your delay tricks.

The difference between a digital delay and an analogue delay is quite significant. Digital makes an exact copy and replays it, it sounds like the original. An analogue delay produces a lo-fi copy that degrades the more it is replayed. It loses high frequencies primarily and the delays a bit "fuzzy" in a nice natural way. Some digital delays have a filtering option on the delays to replicate this effect and would be useful. A tape delay takes this degrading a little further with wow and flutter and such and the effects of a moving tape, the analogue delay gets closer to this effect of such delays like the space echo (one of the last tape delay units) than a digital unit.

You will find a lot of rewards in a delay and I use a rare ibanez AD100 all the time for ambiance over reverb. Such analogue units have a delay of up to 300ms and will do the job. Don't discount a digital delay if you can afford it and it has a 'natural delay simulation' kind of effect. It is likely to offer long delays and allow a lot of other interesting effects and be more versatile.

Good luck in your search... pete

I know that Brian Setzer uses it most of the time. He uses a Roland Space Echo from the 70's, a tape unit on almost all of his stuff. That gives me a baseline for his stuff. He sets it to 150ms with 1 echo. So that's analog.

The digital space echo is about 250 bucks. More then I wanted to spend. Boss makes a space echo and so do others.

Who else uses echo so I can look them up and compare different sounds. Any big artists known for echo?

-John

i think getting a space echo copy for slapback is total overkill, the re20 is a great pedal capable of HEAPS of delay sounds, using it for slapback alone is a waste of a space echo and a waste of money. :D

absolutely EVERY delay ever made could do 1 repeat at 150ms, buy a cheap one and go from there.

Edited by borge

• 12 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...