Need Advice With A Body Repair

I started building my lp-style guitar yesterday and when i routed the body using the template, the LAST inch decided to tear out. :D It disappeared into the air. I searched but i did not found the missing piece. So i routed the broken part off the body and i glued a piece of mahogany to "fill" the missing piece. The problem is: it is still quite visible. I somehow did not succesfully match the grain. Since i would like to stain this guitar honey burst. I need to do something about it. Should i cut it and start over the repair ?

Pics:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/brunz0/PICT0341.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/brunz0/PICT0342.jpg

B plan is to stain it very dark so it does not show through the stain.

C plan is to go with a solid color.......

Any suggestions ??

Thanks,

Charles.

Is the Honey Burst that you want just like the Gibson Les Paul Classic Honey Burst? If so, you will probably have to go darker with the burst around the edges to hide the area of your fix since it is a very transparent finish. However, it may not show as much as you think and it's in a less noticable area while playing. It really doesn't look that bad to me. If however it really bothers you then you could paint or stain the back and sides black or a darker honey than the top. I think that would look good as long as you are doing binding(faux, wood, plastic etc.) to seperate the two halves.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Killemall8

i used a level as a fence and i routed the tear out section with a bearing guided bit, then i cutted an oversize piece of mahogany that was perfectly square so it would fit in the routed section. I glued it in then i sanded/scraped the exceeding part.

six_stringer

Yes i will use bindings to "seperate" the mahogany from the maple top. I was aiming the Gibson Lp Classic burst...

maybe if i "lower" the binding into the mahogany it would make it less visible. The repair on the side is about 1/4" high. If i manage to make maybe half disappear behind the binding, that would look like just a little blemish.

(still suck but i don't really feel like starting over because of this!)

otherwise i could make my own burst color mix to hide this. I remember seeing somebody here on PG that built a LP and sanded through the maple on the top. He did a dark burst and it looked ok.

Charles,

Are you going to add a maple top?

The good news is it is on the bottom of the horn.

If you go dark back and do the color with a spray gun or airbrush you can make that invisible.

Roman

Edited by RFR

Charles,

Are you going to add a maple top?

The good news is it is on the bottom of the horn.

If you go dark back and do the color with a spray gun or airbrush you can make that invisible.

Roman

Yes I'll add a maple top over the mahogany. Like you said i'll go with a dark stain for the side and back!

If you spray a nice wine red back you'll dissapear most of that. You'll need to use tinted clear *not* stain if you want to disguise the patch, if you do this it should look if not invisible, then at least extremely inconspicuous.

I think you're probably thinking of John Silver's LP, which looked great, but I also sanded though the burst on mine, and had to hide two nasty dings from dropping it on a concrete floor mid-finishing, and it still turned out fine. Noone can find the repairs except me, and I have to look very hard!