Plain And Simple 28" Scale Rj Zeta 8-string

I'm building a lot of these, it seems :-D

This 8-string is what I call a 'mid-scale' 28"er with a honduran mahogany neck with a central wenge lamination and wenge headstock. Fingerboard is 29 frets on macassar ebony. Pickups will be a pair of EMG-808, or possibly a pair of Swineshead APEX pickups. Headstock will be backstrapped with macassar ebony veneer. Design for the headstock is a reverse 8-in-line style. Body wood is undecided. Body style is the Zeta as per my previous "biohazard" build.

j8_2.jpg

front of neck

neck and uncut fingerboard

Will update as the spec is finalised, etc. Will post a CAD mockup as is traditional!

Edited by Prostheta

Okay, perhaps a little more information which will be useful to the initial spec for this build!

Again, I will be using a zero fret and Corian guiding nut arrangement as it allows for nice low action without having to rely on cutting the nut to provide this. This has proven to work extremely well on the biohazard 8-string. The neck will not be bound. The fret markers will be offset 3mm pearl dots, and side markers 2mm pearl. Fret size is “standard” jumbo. I will be dressing the frets prior to fitting on this one, and making hemispherical fret ends with a slight nip of the tang either end, and the end of the fret slots filled with black CA. A small jig with a slot wider than the tangs and a toggle clamp will help this admirably. The fingerboard will be longer than the neck tenon, and will sit flat to the body of the instrument. The neck will be bolt-on, using a combination of black 4mm hex bolts and threaded neck inserts. Finish will be black body, black headstock facing. Neck will be cleared. Neck reinforcement is one trussrod with no extra reinforcement. I believe that it is easy to “over-reinforce” a neck which makes it less adjustable if you do need to introduce any adjustments. Bridge will be a common Hipshot 8-string, although I may buy a bunch of Graphtech Ferraglide Wilkinson saddles.

Not sure what wood to utilise for the body. I may use walnut, ash, mahogany or alder. I may lean towards a snappier wood this time (likely alder) although I am going to mull on this one for a while.

Sounds like an adventure, as always, Prostheta. I'd maaaybe toss my vote in for alder; it would definitely be a change, and you'd be able to see how it compares with your others on the 8-string field.

What is the benefit of dressing the frets before seating them, exactly? It sounds like a lot of extra work, to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've slotted and radiused the fingerboard to 20" over 26 frets. Marked out the positions for the 4mm offset dots....going to re-glue on the sides originally cut off the fingerboard to self-bind and then install side dots. May have time to install frets this weekend, although i'll probably hang fire on this one and get around to making a jig for making semihemi fret ends.

Woo!

• 4 weeks later...

you never know why people are not progressing as fast as we want.

personally everything has been on hold for the last month and hopefully should start properly again next tuesday, thats just work **** getting in the way at this time of year

i wanna see pro's other 8 string progressing as its giving me ideas!!!!