Electronics....

Hey, im about to get started on my first project : building an electric guitar from scratch...before i get started, i really want to know how a guitar works in terms of the electronics etc... i was thinking of taking apartmy current electric to explore the guitar, but im afraid i wont be able to put it back togetther, and im afraid ill ruin the guitar... can someone explain how the electronics in an electric guitar are set up including pickups knobs etc, or at least re assure me that i wont ruin my guitar if i take it apart? THANKS

in one post?it would take pages to go into the various possibilities.

all you really need is to know what pickup configuration you want,and then look up wiring diagrams on any of a number of sites that apply to the configuration you want.

for example.......2 humbuckers,one volume,3 way switch...seymour duncan

www.guitarelectronics.com also has tons of stock wiring diagrams, but you should be able to read simple schematics. Guitarnuts is a very good choice, as it explains stock wirings and then goes on about modifications and safety issues.

What guitar do you currently own and what do you want to build? Also, the forum has a separate electronics section :D

so long

ace