Truss Rod Filler Wood

I posted this question at the end of another topic, but no reply so here it is again...

What wood should you use / avoid for the filler strip that covers the truss rod. In a lot of build-threads and blogs I see that different wood is used (not the neckwood)..

Is there a reason for this?

Grz Arjan

Edited by ArieBombarie

I think the main reason for using a contrasting wood is to make something visually appealing - if the separate piece is going to stand out anyway (I can't imagine getting a piece that large to blend in seamlessly, even if you used a piece from the same plank) you might as well make it look neat.

I'm no expert, not having used a truss rod that requires it, but I really think any wood you'd be comfortable using for a neck is going to be fine to use for this application. I'd imagine you're main concerns would be grain orientation and run-out, so that the piece is both somewhat sturdy, and glues in place well.

well that's true for a fender type guitar where your truss rod filler is at the back of the neck... then I agree it's better to have a contrasting wood which would look better. But with gibson style guitars the filler is underneath the freatboard, so it's not visible... and still different kind of woods are used... what's the deal there?

well that's true for a fender type guitar where your truss rod filler is at the back of the neck... then I agree it's better to have a contrasting wood which would look better. But with gibson style guitars the filler is underneath the freatboard, so it's not visible... and still different kind of woods are used... what's the deal there?

I don't think it matters. I usually put some maple or cherry veneer that I have around the shop.

basically.... we all need to use up our scrap wood.... now if you need a piece that is about 1/4" wide and nearly as long as a fretboard the you may as well use a piece of fretboard offcut

just use whatever the hell you have that bloody fits :D

(saturday night posting makes me blaspheme more than i would usually, but i aint christian or aything else i maybe insulting... either way.. sorry if my use of the word 'hell' upsets anyone)