Matt/ Non Wet Oil Finish?

Kenny

well, ive been using liberon finishing oil and am not ver yhappy with it at all. i also have no woodworking experiance except for guitars so im pretty ignorant about differnt types of oils

now here is what i have been going for.

CLA5NRCH_.jpg

ive been trying to get an oil finish that doesnt look like the wood is saturated

heres what i got last time

hpim0155ma9.jpg

does anyone have any wisdom they can share?

Kenny

what i did for that guitar is 3 coats of liberon finishing oil, black bison wax and then killed the sheen with 0000 steel wool. i guess the picture doesnt really show it but it looks like the wood is a little saturated (might be my appication)

1 coat, let dry, steel wool, another coat and repeated until the 3rd coat was dried.

i guess i want to keep the wood looking as natural and unsatured as possible, i can always get the satin finish with a little steel wool or Abralon

I understand what you are saying, and I don't think you are going to get the look you want with any type of oil finish. Since they soak in a little and all have at least a slight ambering effect you are going to get a wetter look. The only thing I can think that might get the look you want is one of the water white lacquers or varnishes or poly's. They seem to leave the color pretty much the same as when you are done sanding.

Honestly, if you don't want that nice 'wetted' oil look (apparent even when matted with steel wool, IMO), you're likely best off with a waterbased poly that does little to nothing at all to the wood tint (no wetting), but also doesn't give you that rich, deep colour something like oil, shellac, epoxy or nitro will deliver. My wood floor (oak) is done in a waterbase finish, and it gives it a very 'natural wood' sort of look, satin, without doing much at all for the figure. Which is fine for a floor.

Me? I like what oil does. Makes the wood darker, certainly, but also deeper and richer, and it still looks very 'woody' and organic.