Neck Material

Doesn't leave much room for error or wood movement, so if you're worried, you could laminate a 1/8"x3x40 piece of contrasting wood to the top. Then, if nothing moves when you're carving, you can run it down a jointer to get it to 1/16" right before you put on the fretboard and it'll look like a cool detail.

edit, actually, forgot about the truss rod channel. You'd have to be able to make your channel 1/16" deeper too.

Edited by ToddW

That doesnt sound too thin, but you may end up with a wide and shallow carve of the neck. Some people like that anyways.

Are you planning a volute? You mentioned a heel, and the shaft will not need more thickness. If your shooting for something less than say .90" at just before the heel, and your fretboard is 3/16"(.1875") and your blank is 3/4" your close, like 1/32" breathing room. So as long as you have a well seasoned true neck blank you should be close, but doable. Personally, I need 7/8"(min.) for my volute and scarf configuration on my acoustics.

Peace,Rich

I have another piece the same size that I can glue to this one.

Adding plenty of thickness to volute, shape and strength.

Not the greatest option But I don't have a problem with this.

Draw out your volute area and see if you need to add. If the board is dry and straight you may be just fine. There is also the option of using a 1/4" thickness on your fretboard which gives you a bit more overall thickness. Not sure of all the details(type of truss rod, your intention for thickness, volute, scarf style, heel style, bridge, neck angle, and so forth) so it is hard to tell what is best. You should have this drawn out fully, and know all these things. Honestly your drawing should be the source for the answer to your question, not a bunch of people giving you generic feedback(although there is nothing wrong with you asking, its a fair question :D ).

Rich

Fair enough. I understand.

TOM Tailpiece and Bridge.

Warmoth Vintage Truss Rod for 2 piece necks.

I have 3 pieces @ 3/4" x 3" x 40" inches. Had the thought to glue all of them together.

That would give me plenty of strength and thickness to carve out the shape I want, volute,

and not having to worry about being too thin on the back. It's probably the best way to aproach this.

My body issues are worked out. Just the neck construction and truss installation I'm worried about.

Thanks.

Edited by Nothing

You don't need to glue all of them together. In my opinion, that would be extremely wasteful. With careful planning, you have wood for three necks there.

Here's what I would do. Cut off some of the extra length from the blank you're using and laminate that on for the heel. If you don't have enough thickness, don't do the volute.

As Rich suggested, a 1/4" fingerboard will help things too.

But...

"My body issues are worked out. Just the neck construction and truss installation I'm worried about."

If you're still designing your neck (and, thus, neck joint), then I really don't think your body issues are worked out yet.

Thanks.

No. My body issues are worked out.

The neck pocket is waiting for the neck. The rest of the body--design/shape, etc for semi-hollow are worked out.

The neck shape is planed. I just want good strength.

I'll use 2 pieces for the neck giving enough for the strength and for shaping.

I'll still be able to have a volute. Small but there.

Things are working.

Thank you all.