What's For Dinner? Guitar Leftovers!

So this is a tele a friend and I were working on (but i Will henceforth be working on solo) where the concept was to use stuff around the shop that was scraps or that we'd never use otherwise. The ONLY think purchased for this build was the african mahogany body which I got for half price out of the shorts pile at the lumber yard. Top and back are bookmatched flamed maple with a bloodwood/flamed maple/bloodwood center stripe. Maple was leftover from a box project (hence not wide enough to do a guitar with just a bookmatch) and the bloodwood from the same project. The hondo mohog neck was offcuts from getting acoustic neck billets from a huge board, and the black walnut and curly maple were scraps from my shop. The binding (top and back) was the excess wood trimmed from the sides of an acoustic my friend's working on and the purflings (yes, you saw it, top AND side purfling... on an electric?!) are old vinyl ones my friend refuses to use anymore, so we threw them on here. There weren't enough to do all the same purflings, so the top/back ones are w/b while the sides are all b/w/b :D

Ebony board is a reject due to these weird white when dry and ultra glossy black when polished imperfections in the wood that we think were either from wax impregnation or fungus.

Image024.jpg

She'll be a 25" scale set-neck and probably will get a wide range reissue humbucker in the neck and a standard tele pickup in the bridge.

Binding/Purfling Detail Pic

That binding is fiddleback hondo mohog and was a PAIN to hand bend on a pipe, especially the tightness of a tele horn!!!

Chris

Edited by verhoevenc

While at college he was my mentor and shop partner (IE: I invaded his shop and he taught me everything I know about acoustic guitars). I just finished college and am moving back home and will continue it on my own since he said I should take it cause he'd never get it done with commissions and what not.

Tiz the end of an era for me.

Chris