Question about buffing last coat of clear

sjaguar13

What kind of buffer did you get? You will need to wetsand first. If you used lacquer, go easy...it cuts fast. But first, let the clear dry a few days, longer better...unless you used a catalysed urethane. I usually start with 1200, sand a few strokes in an area, wipe dry...if you see 'orange peel' you'll have to level it all smooth. 1200 should cut it pretty fast, change your paper each side..move up to 1500..it will get smoother, and finally 2000. Call a body shop supplier to recommend the type of pad and buffing compound that will work with your buffer and type of clear as there are a ton of options there.

You are at the final stage of building your guitar - and it's very easy to want to rush this step.. So take your time and understand that it will be a bit before you have your dream ax. Here are the steps to properly finish your guitar (given that you are using nitro)

#1) Flaten the surface. This shouldn't be too difficult if you've been sanding between coats. For this I use 600 grit and sand with a small amount of water. (keep this in a bowl next to you.) Beware - if this is your first wetsanding experience, be sure to seal ALL bare wood areas. Specifically the holes in the guitar. If water comes in contact with them, it will raise the wood and cause sand-thorughs and other unplesantries.

Never sand with just your hand the the paper - always use something flat and hard. I typically use an old 9 volt battery. the rubber sanding blocks offer too much cushion.

You can't tell what progress you've made while the surface is wet - so dry it often with a paper towel. You are looking to dull the surface evenly - if you see little shiney spots (hills and valleys) keep sanding. You need it perfectly smooth to ensure a good finish.

More than once I've gotten to this step and realized that the guitar would best be served with a few more coats of Nitro. It's a tough pill to swallow - pushing the end date of your guitar back by a few weeks - but it's always worth it. In 4 years, you won't remember the extra work - but you would remember the crappy finish you ended up with by rushing it.

#2) Once the surface is flat, begin to step up the grit. Always being sure to keep a good bit of soapy water, and washing out the sandpaper regularly. You'll begin to see (after you dry the surface) the differance each grit makes. I go: 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000. From 1,000 on up you are polishing. Don't skip steps. Set a goal of "2 grits per night" or something. Also, don't be tempted to use a powersander with this paper. Nothing works better than the old elbow greese.

#3) After you have it to 2,000 - you'll be able to see youself in the finish, and you can't imagine how much better it could get. Now use a polisher (or the elbow greese again) and apply 3M "Finesse It" machine polish. You'll have a mirror finish.

-Since you mentioned that you have a polisher, you may be able to skip a few of the grits and use a compound instead. This is quicker, and if you're doing a bunch of guitars probably the better option. However it is more dangerous as you can easliy get "burn through" on the finish. I've always elected to take the extra time on the wetsanding to ensure a slower, less risky finish.

Lastly - I'd consider 4 weeks the MINIMUM to wait to begin sanding after you shot your last coat. Nitro dries rather quickly, but it takes years to cure. Not suggesting that you wait a year to polish - but I would suggest that you begin another project - or start in on the electronics of the guitar before rushing the finish. Hope this helps - sorry for being a bit long winded!

We could help you a lot more if you filled us in on everything you've done so far.

What kind of finish are you using?

How many clear coats?

Did you do any sanding/levelling in between coats?

What kind of finishing materials do you have on hand there?

You mean buffer like an electric car buffer?

It's really hard to guide you until you let us know what we're dealing with exactly.