Yet Another New Project.

What exactly is ktm9 and where can i get it, and read about it?

Thats a pretty good idea to for the side dots, I think I'm gonna do something similar but with white plastic dust that ill sand down from pickguard blank scrap.

lmii.com sells it in their finishes section. its basically a water based lacquer, its better for the environment, as well as health, and is comparable to nitro.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

YamahaProject23.JPG

http://www.elysian-online.com/YamahaProjec...haProject22.JPG

color coat is down, and 1 coat of ktm9 thus far. got about 4 more today, then tomorrow i'm gonna sand it down with 320 and 400 and give it 4 more coats. then its a week cure time, and i'll wet sand and buff it. the RGA7 project is what i'll work on in the downtime, its gonna be lacquered soon i figure.

can see a few runs on the backside, still working on my spray technique, ktm9 is a little runny compared to the lacquer and urethane i'm used to.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

oh how i love setbacks. the KTM9 didn't bond to my color coat(maybe its not compatible with polyurethane based car paints, or maybe it was because the car paint was over 2 years old, who knows), so when i went to sand it flat, it peeled right off the color coat, so i'm stripping the whole guitar down, and i'll wait till the stewmac finish gets in. pretty much at a standstill on my 2 projects until i get my finishing supplies in now.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

• 2 weeks later...

this has gone far too long without an update(damn hurricanes causing rain here), here we go

YamahaProject24.jpg

further proof you don't need to make the horns look retarded(ala the rusty cooley dean) to have great upper fret access. i recarved that this morning, and i think it looks great. i'm gonna do a little more work on them, i'm thinking of doing a scallop in the cutaways, that'll come later today.

it kind of made me cringe seeing all of the edges shredded like that, but there was great relief when i saw it primered. i think that your clear diddnt stick to your base because you let it dry and diddnt lightly sand before you sprayed clear. most paints are like that.

thats not primer, thats the color coat, if the lighting were better you'd see its a pretty brilliant white. of course, the same white used on the RGA. but this one is gonna have a very different look and feel.