Yet Another New Project.

yamahas.JPG

thats what it used to look like, its the bright red one on the left. it was my first guitar.

when i got it, it was a sweet pearl white... but i was in high school then, taking auto body class, and decided i wanted to paint it 98 camaro red... only it turned out pretty crappy.

later in its life, i did various pickup changes, halfassed of course, and i tried to do a wilkinson style tremelo, but that didn't work out, the mahogany didn't hold up to the wilkinson posts and it wound up tilted. so i retired it to the closet for a few years... until today. the neck on it is a Mighty Mite 22 fret strat neck. it had a rosewood fingerboard, and was a pretty decent neck. i had tried to install a roller nut, but failed. so last night, i pulled out the trusty iron, and got to work. rosewood board got pulled off, and this morning, i started making a maple board for it. instead of 22 frets, i made it 24 frets, and move the nut position back by about 1/8". theres an overhang for the 22 frets, and the 24th fret goes slightly beyond that overhang, but i don't forsee issue, as its the 24th fret... its really only going to be good for tapping, as i'm not going to be reshaping the body any to make access to it easy, so 22 frets is easy to access, and 24 will be for widdly tap. i'm going to be blocking the pickups and the trem and rerouting all of it, so the change of nut position won't effect that aspect of it. this guitar is getting a single coil in the neck position(probably a dimarzio virtual vintage), and a slanted humbucker in the bridge position. its getting hipshot locking tuners(open back), a graphtech tusq nut, and i'll reuse the floating fender style trem i got for it. heres a shot of the headstock, modified to be pretty similar to my 6 i already built, only slightly shorter because i was limited to a small strat headstock.

YamahaHeadstock.jpg

the fretboard is already being glued on, so its moving along pretty fast. later tonight i'll radius the fretboard, 20" radius, probably route my channels for the scallop, and possibly start hammering in frets tonight. i'm excited, this is gonna be a sweet project.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

got the neck fretted, fret ends are rough filed, gonna finish the fret job tomorrow, done enough today. its gonna get blue offset dots to go with the body color, and silver side dots.

YamahaProject3.jpg

http://www.elysian-online.com/YamahaProjec...ahaProject1.jpg

http://www.elysian-online.com/YamahaProjec...ahaProject2.jpg

heres the alder block being glued into the body.

http://www.elysian-online.com/YamahaProjec...ahaProject4.jpg

sorry for the blurry pics, i have to use my blackberry until i get a new card reader

Edited by ElysianGuitars

YamahaProject9.jpg

http://www.elysian-online.com/YamahaProjec...ahaProject8.jpg

scallop is done up to 80 grit now, man it was tough. ebony is so much easier to scallop than maple. next step is to sand the neck up to 220, finish the fret job, tape up the frets, and lacquer the neck/board. but i can't spray any lacquer till i get the inlay dots, so that'll be later this week hopefully.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

:D sanded the runs down, sprayed some in the booth to check my gun settings, and still wound up getting runs on the neck... gotta keep working on it :D

edit: looks like theres really only one run, the rest is flawless, so thats not so bad. 4 more coats today and i'll get back to it tomorrow.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

Got the finish all figured out now, needed to thin it out a little with denatured alcohol(should have read the instructions!). 2 more coats today, and then tomorrow ill flat sand it, and do it again. I did the side dots today, used a 3/32 bit and filled the holes with ebony dust and the used superglue to set them, sanded that down, and sprayed finish over them, they look great, but no pics until later, my internet is down until later tonight. I'm also working on finishing up the body, I'm making the cavity cover routing templates right now, and ill route out the covers later today, fill any screw holes, start finish sanding, and pore fill it with the epoxy pore filler I got with my ktm9 kit.