Squire Strat Reformation

JPK

I have a squire strat which i really haven't played for a long time, i'm not that big of a player i just love fiddling with the things. i lost my job and need money i went to sell my whole package guitar, amp, lead, strap, bag even had the original allan keys for saddles and truss rod....heres the bitch...£25 the lot, naturally i said the F word and got the hell out.

Now i still need the money, my resources are small, but i have a guitar to work with to make it better. with the whole thing being hand built a decent guitar shop will offer atleast decent money for it. the body will more or less be the same, though i probably will change the colour. as i don't know what wood any part of the guitar is, any veneers or colours i'm not really thinking about right now.

i will post pictures when i get some on the PC but all i wanted to ask you all really was, what advice can you offer, is it worth doing? i do have a friend who wants a guitar built and has a very expensive humbucker he has never heard the sound of, but its whether he will pay price for guitar to, i've yet to talk to him...But all in all, guys...What can i do to make this thing Better?

JP

Edited by JPK

Sounds like a bad idea!

I love squiers...well some of them can be made to sound and play great...HOWEVER...

they will always be a squier and will be of little value in retail no matter what you do to it. This fact is one of the reasons I like them, fender-like look and specs and reasonable quality to very good on the high end ones make them great for significant improvements on a second hand guitar for a project or trying things out. You can even make yourself a fine guitar out of it...but it will alsway be a squier and so have very little retrun value regardless of how well it plays...sorry!

pete

Clean it? Dress the frets? Perform a setup? Most of these things make most guitars better than a sum of their parts. Still, it won't make it worth any more than what it really is. It's probably not what you want to hear, but unless you have something of worth you most probably won't see any value come from it in a sale. It's a buyers market.

Post pics by all means and of course an honest opinion can be made.

All well and good guys, i came for honest oppinions otherwise i wouldn't of asked.

But £25 for a whole complete starter set up is absolute bollocks either way, they claimed they could sell it for 6o quid, of course they could any bugger could people would snap up that price, but doesn't mean if you price it higher somebody wont buy it.

I might play with it see if this guitarist friend of mine fancies a bash at some sort of custom thing, cos he likes his strat shapes which is why i wasnt gonna change it in anyway, jus not sure if he'd like the colour....keep u all updated see what happens.

JP

Things will turn around for you bro, they always do. I wish you luck and patience until they do.

I have to say one thing on selling the guitar: I have regretted selling every guitar I've ever sold. Maybe it's just me and my sentimental side, but the money is gone in a flash and the guitar I loved is never to be seen again. I had a mid-eighties Ibanez Roadstar II and sold it for next to nothing because I was dead set on buying a Les Paul and being the next Slash (Slash don't use no Floyd Rose man). God, I wish I had that guitar again! A few years later I sold the Les Paul for a song so I could get a tube amp to play my Tele through (my Clarence White phase). I regret that too.

I understand the Squire is a less expensive instrument than the ones I mentioned, but like the other guys said, you won't get squat out of it anyway. But it's entirely up to you and I hope the best for you.