Tunomatic Studs

Hello,

Yesterday I drilled the tunomatic post holes for the gotoh bridge with studs and bushings. One post is moderately difficult to remove, while the other is not hard to remove at all, which is weird because I used the same bit that was required. Is that a problem?

Second, Do I have to do anything else to install be bridge besides making the post holes and just setting them in there? The installation just seems to easy to me. Do I need to use a light strength glue or wood filler for the posts?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I used the search function because its probably my best friend. I could not find anything else and if there is, sorry about the redundant post. : )

Yesterday I drilled the tunomatic post holes for the gotoh bridge with studs and bushings. One post is moderately difficult to remove, while the other is not hard to remove at all, which is weird because I used the same bit that was required. Is that a problem?

Just put a bit of epoxy in there and you'll be fine. I had the same thing happen to me on my last build.

Well, how easy is easy? If you turn the guitar upside down, does it fall out by itself? If not, it probably isn't an issue at all. Especially if it's a tuneamatic, since you'll still have the tailpiece applying downward pressure on the whole assembly.

I would NOT put epoxy on the insert, since that will make it much more difficult to remove if ever need be. A much easier approach would be to glue a bit of scrap wood (toothpicks, etc) into the side of the hole --that way the insert will press in much more snugly.

Removing the inserts is pretty easy, I protect the guitar's surface (cardboard, cloth, whatever) and use a clawhammer with a block of wood as a lever to lift it up (with the stud screwed in a bit). You shouldn't need much pressure at all to lift it.

I would NOT put epoxy on the insert, since that will make it much more difficult to remove if ever need be. A much easier approach would be to glue a bit of scrap wood (toothpicks, etc) into the side of the hole --that way the insert will press in much more snugly.

You should never have to remove the inserts and if you do, a bit of heat is all you need to loosen up the epoxy. I suggested epoxy because it will grab onto metal (somewhat) and can fill gaps.

I just want to let you know that I am not using a tailpiece behind the tunomatic, instead, I am going the string thru body route with ferrules. I figure that will apply enough pressure on the bridge. The post does not wiggle in the hole, it just slides in and out like butter. (Thats what she said). I suppose it would fall out of the hole if I turned it upside down. I feel like leaving it alone, but in another sense I want the loose post to be like the tighter one. Is there an ideal at all?

Well, I have some options to contemplate now...

Leave as is, toothpick the hole, or toothpick and epoxy.

I probably won't use any epoxy. If anybody else has any recommendations I'll check this thread and listen up.

Thanks again.

If you do use glue on the toothpick, all you need is ordinary wood glue, not epoxy. It's just to rebuild the wall a bit to make the insert fit snugly. You'd more than likely achieve the same thing with just jamming the toothpick in there without glue. Using the glue would make the fix permanent, that's all.

If you wanted to be really precise about it, you could make a shaving of the same wood as the body and glue that in as a lining to the hole. Regardless, the fix will be invisible. Depends on you -- if you're the type who will always be bothered by just the idea that there's a toothpick in there, then go for the more permanent fix.

If you were a pro-builder and the guitar was for sale, then you'd be awfully embarrassed if the new owner happened to look under the hood...