Pickguard materials

Ace

Thanks to a former school friend of mine I've been able to locate a plastics and acrylic supplier (Matty used to build bongs from acrylic pipes...) who sells small quantities and also has a trash container that might have some useful stuff, so what materials are best for pickguards? I need to build my own pgs because I have a couple of non-standard measurement strat bodies lying around that already have the holes drilled and all...

so long

ace

Bakelite!?!? Wow Brian, I used to use that term when I finished only half the joint :D That brings back some memories! B)

Yes, I believe you are correct on that. I think bakelite was the "plastic" of the early days. Remember the old "Rickenbacher's"? I think they even used bakelite after the name change to Rickenbacker for quite a few years. They made the whole body (and neck on the early ones) out of the stuff. What an ad campaign that would be......Buy yourself a new Ric bakelite guitar, doubles as a bowling ball on Friday night!

Another alternative is Lexan(it's made by G.E.).It's stronger than plexiglass and totally clear.It accepts paint very well and viola instant finish when you spray the bottom.It can be a little expensive for a full sheet but sometimes you can buy an offcut piece.I think the Home Depot stocks it or you can go to GE's site for guidance on purchasing.