Attaching Radiused Fretboard

I'm unclear on when to attached a pre-radiused fretboard. Should I rough cut both neck and fretboard and then glue it on? I have the picture from Koch's book for the clamping caul for a radiused fretboard. I guess my biggest quesiton is how I get the template draw back on there. From the back of the neck? Hope I'm clear and thanks.

what do you mean by template draw back?

i cut my necks outline with template, then glue fretboard, then shape the back. for a radiused fretboard, you should use radius blocks as cauls, so it applies pressure evenly.

What I mean is that outline. Do you rough cut a little bit outside for both neck and fretboard and then attched them using the blocks? I can draw and cut my exact shape on the neck wood. Once the fretboard is glued on though, how do I have an outline to refine by?

im not sure i get what you mean. you cut the neck to the exact final shape of the template. then, since most fretboards are oversized, you glue the fretboard on and then cut it to the shape of the neck with a template bit. why do you need a outline after you glue the fretboard?

"and then cut it to the shape of the neck with a template bit"

this is what I needed - the books had me confused on how to get the fretboard to shape

Or the other way around. It has been diskussed a couple of times and ther is no general consensus on how to do it. Me, I taper the fretboard to the exact dimensions, glue it on the rough sawed neck blank and while shaping the back if the neck I bring the neck down on the sides to meet the fret board. I feel that this method gives me the best control.

i taper my fretboards to thier absolute final size on my table saw (most accurate way ive found so far) then after that i glue them onto the still oversized neck blank using a support caul of the matching radius (concave naturally :D) then after i get my neck close to the FB with a bandsaw, and use a router witha bearing guide to get them flush.

hope this helps