Guitars And Tv's

Ilikes2shred

I'm not sure if anyone has found this out yet, but try putting a guitar in front of a tv, so you can see the strings and the tv in the backround, and pluck a string. It lets you see the strings vibration relative to the frequency of the tv's flashing, making it look like the strings are vibrating really slowly, almost like a worm.... It's even funner with a seven string because B flat and B go even slower....

Anyway, doesn't really require an answer but I thought some of you may find it interesting.

:D

:D

If you blink rapidly (or sneeze) while looking at a trucks wheel nuts while driving...they look as if they are standing still...

If you squint at pixelated faces on the news...you can recognize them!

got to love those optical illusions...audio ones are trickier and subtler...

there is one you can do with a guitar trem and a delay where you can get a note fall and produce harmonics that appear to rise and fall at the same time due to the accumulation of the falling frequencies and the delays original played against it...

Audio effects like this come under the term "psychoacoustics"...be a good name for a band or something...hehehehe...I studied a few of these things at uni...it is amazing how the brain "makes things up" and fills in the blanks to give us the impression of reality...

I always used to wonder what my cat was thinking watching tv...a lot of animals have much faster optical senses and are wired differently...and they see TV for what it really is...a string of stills...the ability to fool ourselves is probably as much a part of the human experience as any other...

If it wasn't for being able to fool ourselves, then movies wouldn't ever have become an attraction. One of the really cool illusions is to turn of the lights in a drum room and put a strobe on the drums. The modes of the cymbals and drum heads are clearly visible.

• 2 weeks later...

pete unless i'm very wrong there is never a still up on the screen like in an old movie reel.

surely it just sees a sort of scan of a still a few lines deep depending on its vision?