Leopardwood Capped Avenger

I decided to rout off the binding, but try to leave enough to give the illusion of a double layer. I thought it was a great idea. The router didn't agree, so it ripped off a big piece of binding just to prove it's point. :D I'm glad it didn't take any wood with it.

So here's the body re-bound and ready to be carved.

wip13.jpg

wip14.jpg

And finally, here it is after some leveling & smoothing.

wip18.jpg

wip19.jpg

wip20.jpg

Today I'm doing all of the drilling. There are some new (for me) items I'm working on, so look for the pics tonight or tomorrow. I'm also testing some light stain on some scrap ash. I'm looking for that "Fender amber" look without using dyes. I'm PLANNING on doing the inlay for the headstock, but I don't know if I'll have the time or the attention span.

• 2 months later...

I just realized I haven't updated this in quite some time.

Not that there's anything interesting going on. I have the cavity covers made from leopardwood and the headstock inlaid with the leopardwood J. It all got 2 or 3 coats of sanding sealer. I don't remember how many - it was in November. Right now it's all being bulletproofed with brush-on poly. I'm figuring 4-5 coats will do the trick, buffed with steel wool between coats.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this one a lot more than the other projects I've seen from you. Don't get me wrong, your other projects are awesome; but you definitely have a rounded over theme that this project breaks. I think this looks pretty sweet!

[edit]

Sorry if this post came out as offensive. I'm a pointy guitar kinda person :D

Edited by Narcissism