Crown Of Thorns Acoustic

I originally started this acoustic to be my personal guitar, but a friend of mine saw it and decided to buy it... I gave in.

He wants it ready before Christmas, so Daniel(Sorbera) & I decided to finish it up together since it's now a business guitar. I was working on it by myself because it was just going to be mine... I'll just have to start a different guitar for me. :D

The crown of thorns(shown below) was an inlay I chose because I was trying to do a theme of "The Blood of Christ". We strayed away from a lot of stuff I was going to do to the guitar when we sold it, but quite a bit of it is along those lines as you'll see.

Here are a few photos of the build up 'till now:

Details of the back bracing.

PHOTO

This is the body before we stained it.

PHOTO

After stain. We stained it red, it's not that dark in person. Red for the blood of Christ theme.

PHOTO

Black Limba back.

PHOTO

Top Bracing.

stained-0379.jpg

Crown of Thorns inlay. I used Black Limba for the inlay material. Each thorn was a separate inlay.

guitar163-0408.jpg

This is what I worked on today, we got the neck done enough so I could do the purfling & inlay. I'll be working on all the inlay next week.

headstockpurf-0403.jpg

guitar163-0416.jpg

That purfling took a while to do, but it's well worth it! It was the first time we have ever put purfling on the headstock. I think we'll do this to all our acoustics from now on. Let me know what you think about the guitar so far!

Here are all the photos of it on our photobucket: PHOTOBUCKET

-Chris

Edited by Littleman

Dang you guys are kickin out some awesome guitars! I love that rosette. I was curious about the funky little notch carved in your back braces. Is it just for looks?

I was looking at the pics in your photobucket album and it looks like maybe you could stand to improve the dust collection on your router table! LOL

Dang you guys are kickin out some awesome guitars! I love that rosette. I was curious about the funky little notch carved in your back braces. Is it just for looks?

I was looking at the pics in your photobucket album and it looks like maybe you could stand to improve the dust collection on your router table! LOL

Thanks, the 'funky' notches in the bracing are there as a result of artistic freedom. They are just there for looks, I don't believe it will change the sound any... the only difference structurally would be it is slightly more rigid than if it were just carved down. I love the looks of them notched out.

I agree, the dust is pretty bad... but it doesn't really hinder our working since after each route we just vacuum it up. I'm not going to get a large dust collection system until we move to a larger shop. :D

I like it. The head stock looks really clean...well done. And the Crown of Thorns inlay is awesome.

Look great. Can't wait to see some more pictures.

Thanks, I spent a ton of time on that rosette. I've looked around and there is nothing else like it out there.

The closest thing is the ugly "crown of thorns" carbon acoustic.

Are you going to have cross inlays as fret markers on the fretboard?

I am going to ask the customer what he would like on it today.

We will probably just do dots down one side of it and a cross on the 12th fret like we did on Daniel's acoustic.

That is really beautiful work, never ceases to amaze me the craftsmanship that goes into building an instrument like this. If there was a channel on the telly just showing guitars like this one being built I'd never need the remote again! :D

Jim :D

Chris, do you and Daniel have a thickness sander? If so what model did you go with...if not how are you thicknessing your acoustic wood?

There is a local cabinet maker nearby that owns a very big $8000+ model that he lets us use to thickness all our wood. He also has an enormous bandsaw and very nice planer.

So basically when we need to mill the wood to specs we just go over to his shop for the day and do everything over there that we don't have the tools for.