Whats Up People

thisismyacct

Hey guys, whats up.. I was wandering around on google and stumbled upon this place. I've been playin guitar for quite a while now just haven't really made myself any time to pick a guitar up in the past few years. I've forgotten everything cept for chords and riffs from dozens of songs.. I never really played around other people except for a punk band and metal group so I don't really have a lot of range in my musical ability... :/ what's left of it. It's pretty frustrating since my fingers are all soft and I don't exactly have the dexterity I once had. I've prettymuch hit a wall also as to what to learn to play. I've been trying to figure out some songs to play for friends (well girls really) and get back into practice so I can jam with other people.. I can't really thing of anything that'd sound any good by itself. I feel about as lost as when I got my first guitar. Any suggestions?

Well, I'm in the same situation, just pickin' up the guitar for the first few times in months, it doesn't help that I cut the tip of my finger pretty deep a few days ago, hehe, no playin' for a bit for me. I would say there's really only one way to get back to playin', that's pick up the guitar, look up some tabs and learn'em and/or do lots of finger exercises. There isn't really a way, as far as I know, that you can get lots of skill back without lots of practice.

if you want to impress some girls and can sing the beatles are always a good choice in my opinion. most of the songs aren't too hard to play as long as you can play a good amount of chords. melodies are fairly easy and catchy, being able to sing is key though. the early beatles' songs are easier to play if you are having some difficultly.

Oh great...one of my pet subjects and onging projects...guitar seduction 101... :D

I'm glad to see there is a trend towards this kind of thing...not that many people can commit to a band, and believe me, in those intimate moments...you don't want to have to drag the band in to seduce a pretty young thing, it's almost impossible to get them to leave! Playing along to backing tapes is also singularly not impressive, or fussing over gear and stepping on a lot of stomp boxes!

It's great to be able to entertain people or at least be able to play something that impresses people (especially girls and parents) to justify having a collection of guitars or a wall of amps!!!!

Personally, I've always felt that 'wonderful tonight' is kind of corny. More impressive often is something with a little humour. Something that they would know is always good. If the lyrics are dodgy or just to painful to try and sing (like the 'bussel in the hedgerow ... being a ... sprinkling for the may queen' of stairway to heaven) a good instrumental version is often better.

In fact, if you are not a singer, or a little embarrassed...there are lots of simple classical type things (Greensleeves is easy and instantly recognizable as the ice cream truck tune...you can finish by asking her if she'd like some ice cream) or arrangements you can make of songs (I made an arrangement of 'wind crys mary' with most of the solo in it for instance for my friend mary who would not normally like Hendrix or the flaky hippie lyrics) that might be familiar.

With enough practice in front of the TV you can get this type of thing down enough to play and talk at the same time...so it will impress that you can play well, but appear as if it is just natural and you don't have to look or concentrate or make a big concert out of it...or direct your attentions from her to your instrument.

If you are more of a rock'n blues type guy...you can have a lot of fun with the genre. Girls love a sense of humour also. I go an ACDC anthology out of the library for instance...you can do a neat little "long way to the top" with the riff call and responding blues style with the simple two note melody. This impresses when you are wanting to steal her away in mixed company...everybody can recognize that and maybe even sing along drunkenly...while you steal the show and the girl by impressing her with your playing and good humour, having others impressed that you know a song that they will know and is entertaining, impresses people...and hope you might play her a little something special for her later in private...

For those moments, you should also find a nice little chord sequence...don't get all fancy with jazzy chords...although SRV's lenny is nice...then make sure you can improvise a little on it...the keys of D and C often work well...then, when she asks, "what is that" you can tell her that you were just mucking around and making something up inspired by her...around this point, the guitar is generally not further required :D

Other songs to impress female audiences might be songs like 'time after time' and 'I'm like a bird (see the Vai version) that can work as instrumentals and show you are in contact with your "feminine self" and are prepared to entertain her tastes in music. Don't ever sink so low as Celine Dion however.

If you can sing a little...there are any number of great soul tunes written for every occasion with lyrics to the point. Some of course are well known classics, 'Dock of the Bay' for instance or "try a little tenderness'. I used 'when a man loves a woman' successfully as I was coming out of a relationship (she treated me bad, but I know you wouldn't do me like that)...but there are some good more obscure things like "I wish it would rain" that express a similar thought (although the author actually killed himself soon after writing it). This is where a little psychology can come in handy...the intention is to make her want to show you the 'sunny skies outside', not to have you put down! Generally, unless she is so inclined I'd avoid James brown (unless you can sing "good gawd, yeh!" with conviction) except...It's a man's man's world will impress the socially conscious (it would mean nothing, without a woman or a girl)...if she is married or taken (or you are) hit her with a heartfelt "If loving you is wrong (I don't want to be right)".

Check out Paul Young versions for some white soul, he did this kind of thing very well. "Everytime you go away (you take a piece of me with you)"..."everything must change"...wherever I lay my hat (that's my home) {good if you are homeless and would at least appreciate a bed for the night!} and "wonderland".

If you are australasian...crowded house has some good ones...four seasons in one day to explain your manic depression (or her menstral cycle)...don't dream it's over (if she threatens to leave)...better be home soon (if she does leave!).

If singing...make sure you have the range and suits your voice and find an appropriate key...noting worse than attempting "unchainded melody" and breaking on the "Ohhhh, my love' bit!

Remember, keep it simple it is more impressive, and particularly impressive is if you can play ins such a way that it seems natural without it being a 'concert' where she wonders if she should applaud. I did this once at a party...people had heard me do this kind of thing and told others...ohhh, you got to hear pete play the guitar...so reluctantly and with my wifes eyes rolling...I went and got a guitar, sat on the step, fumbled around looking for something to play and improvisng a little...then bashed out a cool instrumental of "fly like and eagle" with a lot of dynamics (also impressive). I finished and there was 20 people in stunned silence...later a girl said, wow that was really good, but I didn't know what to do...should I have started clapping or something? Avoid such moments...make your audience a part of the performance if you can...they may well not like what you play but that is forgivable if you don't do a big expectation on the performance. Better to appear humble and she assure you of how talented you are!!!

Cool subject though...very important but under discussed aspect of guitar playing...

pete