Re-finishing Maple Neck

TheEdge

Hi guys, I'd like to re-finish my maple neck (with maple fretboard) because I'd like to have a more vintage yellowish color.. What I'd wondering is..do I have to remove all the frets? or I can do the work without problems, and then gently remove the finish from the frets?

and then, in your opinion..the best way to get that kind of finish is the one descibed on the tutorial section on this site..or do you know other ways? for example, using shellac and then apply clear coats..

thanks

Dimitri :D

What kind of finish is on the neck right now? If it is nitro all you need to do is sand it down a little and spray a toner coat and top with a few clear coats. I don't see a need to take the frets out, since most Fenders I have seen are finished with the frets on and then the finish is taken out of the crown of the frets or they have been taped up and finished the same way.

The only maple fretboard I have done, I sprayed with the frets on and then removed the poly from the frets later on. You can leave it, the leveling and crowning will remove it anyway, and if not when played the strings will remove it. I just scored along the edge of the frets once the poly was dry and then scraped it off, peals off easier than a ripe orange.

thanks guys.. I think I'm understanding.. (sorry I don't speak english as first language)

Right now the neck is poly finish I think..it is a std strat..no nitro for sure..

So I can start sandind all the neck to bring the grain out..and then choose the way to tint it (shellac or toner)

No need to sand it completely off, unless the maple has figure and you want to make it stand out. But you can do it that way if you want.

This was posted a while back by, I believe, Erikbojerik (please don't kill me if it was someone else... I saved the text, but not the author). Maybe it will help.

Here's what I do now.

Radius, slot and fret the board (off the neck when you're building from scratch); you might have to deepen the slots if you take too much off when you radius. After the frets are in, bevel the edges, ten tape off the board so only the frets are sticking up (NO wood showing). Now use a Q-tip and coat the frets with a thin layer of auto wax. Remove the tape, then spray away. Level & finish sand to ~600-1000 grit, then score the edges & ends of the frets with a razor blade, being careful to avoid scratching the finish. Tape off the wood again, tweek the rod to straightness and level the frets. The clear coat will flake right off the waxed frets as you level. Crown frets, then buff & polish the whole works.