Compressor Drainage

Dadovfor

I've had my 2.5hp compressor maybe a year and each time I've used it (not that often) I always remove the drainage plug and park the compressor in the corner of the garage.

However, I realised on the weekend that the drainage hole is obviously not at the lowest point of the compressor and I need to rock it around a bit to ensure all the moisture is removed. :D With a bit of rocking, I'm guessing a quarter of a cup of murky, rusty water came out. :D

From here on in I'll make sure I tip the thing about a bit when I've finished with it ... but is there anything I should do now? Should I tip a bunch of WD40 or fish oil or rust inhibitor in the bottom of the compressor and swirl it about to try and halt any rust that's commenced? Or is the barrell thick enough that I just need to get it right from now on??

As always ... I'd appreciate your thoughts.

B)

Nope, I wouldn't put ANYTHING in that tank, whatever you put in could and probably will come back out through your airlines and if you're painting from the compressor an little bit of oil or water could ruin a paint job. As long as you keep draining it and gettin' all the water out you should be fine for a long while. Eventually it might rust through and you'd have to get a new compressor, but I doubt it would soon.

I always let the air out first.

The drainage plug is rounded and I need a set of multi-grips to get it off anyway. With a bit of pressure behind it the plug would absolutely shoot out ... which could be handy if my neighbour's cat was nearby ... but not so great if my kids were too close.

I think I'd better stick to rocking it :D

:D

I don't like the idea of putting oil in there, but I have wondered about the same thing, and have though about putting some of that rust neutralizing chemical in there, but I still worry some of that might flake off and cause trouble in the air line. Of course rust could flake off too. I would imagine this very thing has been discussed on autobody forums or something like that (actually, never even looked to see if there are any autobody forums. I just assume there's a forum for everything, because when I first got on the net in '99 I accidentally came across a forum dedicated to shoes made in the 1960's, so if there's even a forum for that....)

Next time you have the plug out go to the hardware store and get a few bits of brass or steel tubing and a ball valve. That way you have an easier access to the plug and can drain with pressure in the tank. I have a 30 gallon horizontal that was a pain to get at the petcock valve on it originally.

I’m glad CrazyManAndy asked that question. I guessed that catastrophic failure was highly unlikely … but it’s worthwhile to get that feedback.

So there’s a couple of lessons there for compressor noobs like me … condensation does occur during compressor use and the moisture needs to be vented after each use [i knew that much] :D .

But don’t assume that the drainage plug is at the lowest point of your compressor :D .

B)

One other thing is you might wanna run an extra 50 feet of hose from the compressor, then run a water trap, then run x amount of hose off that and use whatever. The extra 50 feet of hose is to make sure that the water vapor cools off enough to be caught in the trap. If you're painting (I don't think you said what you're using the compressor for, so I'm just guessin' and givin' general advice) water goin' through your lines can screw up your finish. :D

(I don't think you said what you're using the compressor for, so I'm just guessin' and givin' general advice)

Your guess was right anderekel ... I am spraying paint (nitro this time) ... should have stated that in my post.

I do use a long length of hose but I need to look into the moisture trap aspect.

:D