First Project

One thing you may wanna look into is how you'll do the joint to extend the heel. I don't know what you're plan was for that, gluing an extra piece directly on with a butt joint won't really give you any additional strength in the neck joint, since it'd really be no different than just gluing it straight into the neck pocket. The thought that was playing around in my head was just do a scarf joint, much like you'd do for the neck/headstock. If your truss rod doesn't go all the way to the end of the neck, then you could cut a diagonal slice off from the bottom of the heel, then glue on another piece that would extend the heel like a normal set neck would be. Maybe get some opinions on how to extend the heel from some of the other guys around here, but as I mentioned just gluing on a piece to the end won't really do anything to improve the situation.

Anyhow, great looking project so far, keep the pic coming of your progress and best of luck, very nice stuff. Jason

One thing you may wanna look into is how you'll do the joint to extend the heel. I don't know what you're plan was for that, gluing an extra piece directly on with a butt joint won't really give you any additional strength in the neck joint, since it'd really be no different than just gluing it straight into the neck pocket. The thought that was playing around in my head was just do a scarf joint, much like you'd do for the neck/headstock. If your truss rod doesn't go all the way to the end of the neck, then you could cut a diagonal slice off from the bottom of the heel, then glue on another piece that would extend the heel like a normal set neck would be. Maybe get some opinions on how to extend the heel from some of the other guys around here, but as I mentioned just gluing on a piece to the end won't really do anything to improve the situation.

Anyhow, great looking project so far, keep the pic coming of your progress and best of luck, very nice stuff. Jason

Thanks I never thought of doing that way, That is what I think I will do that will be a far better joint..

Ok I got some time to work on the guitar so this is what I have gotten done.

I added material to the neck. and started the final heel shaping.

n652275556_5654767_789.jpg

Got the neck angle planed into the top 3 Degrees. and started the carve.

n652275556_5654764_9733.jpg

n652275556_5654765_83.jpg

n652275556_5654766_450.jpg

n652275556_5654768_1147.jpg

n652275556_5654769_1491.jpg

So thats where I'm at and I think it's coming along good. going to start working on the top some more.

Got some time today to work on the top. finished the carve. marked the placement of the neck pocket and the pickup cavities. Also the Bridge placement.

n652275556_5672830_6225.jpg

Then drilled the holes for the pot controls, and contoured them to the body.

n652275556_5678196_502.jpg

n652275556_5678198_1111.jpg

n652275556_5678199_1407.jpg

Next is to router out the control cavity on the back and then the top neck pocket and then the pickup cavities.

So what do you think so far?

no experience in wood working just very handy and an*l at times. Well that's what my wife would say. I plan on giving it a purple dye and a black back and headstock. Think I will leave a thin bead of maple natural around the outside, like on a prs. The back control plate is also going to be natural maple.

Edited by PRS Tait

• 2 weeks later...
Fixed the pics.

So I plan on getting DiMarzio Steve's Special and a Norton air for it. Going to have a 3 way switch and 2 volumes no tone's. but if I don't like it I will go with 2 dual pots and the 3 way.

I bought one of those for a guitar I'm working on. I'm anxious to hear your take on the tone of that pup when you get yours together (since it's taking me so damned long to get mine together :D ). Really nice work on your guitar btw, it's a real beauty.

Well it could be a while before I get those pickups. My reason for picking them is their the closest to what John Petrucci uses. Should be good. Thanks for the comments guys. I used my automotive spray gun and clear to get the great finish. Used a dye called colourfx. It's the same as transtint, but easier to get in Canada.