Scrappy The 12 String Electric

Ok so here's the concept

I got a body from an old guitar of my dad's that he gave to me I posted about it way back when and never did get around to copying the guitar but I still have the body.

It has a hairline crack running through the Pup cavity but it doesn't go any farther than that.

I also have a neck from a twelve string Epiphone acoustic that is in good shape but needs a new body. SO being that both pieces were free, the neck pits into the neck pocket of the body already, and I have nothing to lose and a lot of experience to gain. I'm going to try and make these into a twelve string electric.

I plan to have an acoustic style bridge with a piezo pickup and a humbucker.

A push pull pot on the volume to switch between the two, and one on the tone for a coil tap on the humbucker.

Here's a pic of the body an neck. If you look close you can see the crack running through the third screw hole for the trem.

HPIM0860.jpg

Now here's my question. How would y'all go about removing and replacing the wood where the trem cavity and the pickup to get rid of the crack?

I was thinking I would route out the wood and glue in a new piece of wood.

Ok the body is routed out Just some sanding to clean up the edge and it will be ready for the new wood block to be fitted and glued in that's tomorrows project that is if my wife lets me.

Here is the front

HPIM0862.jpg

and here is the rear I left a small amount on the neck end of the body just to give me something extra to glue onto.

If you look you can see some paint still in place that managed to hang on while I was routing. I thought it was kinda funny.

HPIM0861.jpg

Are those routs freehand? If so, I would clean the edges up using a bearing guided router bit against a planed edge piece of wood. Ideally, the wooden insert should sit nice and snug against all four edges with as much wood to wood contact as possible. I presume the body is a flat top affair, so the routing will be perpendicular with the faces.

Is it me, or did you jump into doing this an hour or so after I posted the last message? Crazy dude. :-D

That would explain the +1 time difference :-D

Enjoying time in Europe?

Brian's trick of cleaning up the glueing edges using epoxy is pretty sweet. I'm doing this myself soon on a mahogany Ibanez Sabre body I picked up off eBay, but I don't have the luxury of a flat top to lay straightedges on!

What wood is that, if you know? The second picture makes it look like it has mineral staining in the wood, or some other weird discolouration. Fun project all the same. I guess you've just started to break out the noisy mess creators in your station digs yeah? Guess that's why the wife isn't too impressed...till you build a guitar for her, in which case you'll get a few month's grace :D

Guess that's why the wife isn't too impressed...till you build a guitar for her, in which case you'll get a few month's grace

She acctully don't mind me working on guitars too much. So that's a plus for me.

Europe is nice it's a lil weird cause I live off base so it's easier to go the the local stores sometimes and I don't speak a lick of German gives me a excuse to look around the local home improvement store that much more thou. I do have one problem everything here is metric including lumber so I have had to adjust to that when I build things for the house like our new bed frame.

I'm Not entirely sure what the discoloration is or even what type of wood it is I think the wood was actually spalted or something. who knows though. All I can tell you is it has fairly strait grain and its heavy for a small body before i routed it the body alone weighed almost the same as my old squire strat with a plywood body.

Well New update

My router decided that its wanted to be jumpy today very jumpy. I now have numerous divots and holes to fill in the body.

Also I decided to go with a fabric finish using some old BDUs (woodland camo uniform ) and a USAF staff Sgt. stripe inlay after the bridge.

alt.jpg

But that aint the worst thing it did to me today

While I was attempting to use the router to get nice clean holes in the heel of the neck to plug where the original screws went it caught on something not the truss rod thank goodness and ripped the side of the heel off so had to glue it back into place.

That however it did solve one issue for me I wasn't sure if I wanted to refinish the neck or not. Now I don't have a choice!

Here's the front an back sanded

alt.jpg

HPIM0866.jpg

Thanks ae3 After much thought I have decided the final name of the guitar will be Sgt Scrappy. The name took hold after I cut of the top curves of the Epiphone Headstock and it looked like a flat top hair cut.

With the damage I did to the heel and the pain it has been trying to fill the void left in the wood.

I'm to route off the heel to just above the truss rod and glue on a new chunk of wood. Mind you this neck has had the holes in it plug so many time that I wouldn't trust it to handle the extra pressure from 12 strings now with out some super strong filler material

I'll give you a tip - your problems came with the neck from using the wrong tool. If you want to make holes to plug, use A DRILL. That way, if you're drilling and you hit the truss rod or something, you get a grinding noise. Do it with a router, you get a loud bang, and bits of metal fly in all directions, including into you.

I had measured to account for the truss rod, so I could use the router cause I wanted as strait as possible hole because I don't have a drill press. Things probably would have gone better if I had used a jig but I just set the depth on the router and free handed it so I think rushing was the mistake in this case. Now I'm paying for it however I agree a drill would have been better.

I'll give you a tip - your problems came with the neck from using the wrong tool. If you want to make holes to plug, use A DRILL. That way, if you're drilling and you hit the truss rod or something, you get a grinding noise. Do it with a router, you get a loud bang, and bits of metal fly in all directions, including into you.

Yeah, those bangs are scary news....the worst bangs I get are from the router blasting pieces of my workpiece across the room like happened to the heel here :-\ Hidden tacks would be a very sobering encounter....

Ok new Update the body work is almost finished I have the new bridge test fitted and I solved my problem for grounding the strings I routed out a channel right on the edge of the peg holes and inserted a solid piece of wire for each string to contact.

here's a pic of the underside of the bridge it's not great but it gives the idea

HPIM0869.jpg

and here is the general layout of the body

HPIM0870.jpg