Is This An Adequate Size Neck Joint?

I want to make a set neck version of a neck-thru that I built, but I don't want to create any sort of extension on the body in the way of a heel.

I'm eyeballing the existing guitar and I think there is enough material there for a plenty strong neck joint. It'll be the full width of the neck and extend to the far edge of the pickup cavity.

I'd just like to get some more opinions on this.

neck-tenon.jpg

Kinda on subject...

Whats the minimum surface area of a neck tenon?

One that will not break under tension. LOL

Kinda on subject...

Whats the minimum surface area of a neck tenon?

I've searched and asked this question before, with no real answer revealed. Minimum surface area is going to depend on the type of glue and wood used, whether you've made a well-fitting joint or one of the monstrosities of open-space like was shown in those Gibson photos that where floating around a while back, the shape of the joint and the direction of the wood grain involved in that joint.

I think part of the thing is, that unless you're planning a real ridiculous design, you're apt to have enough neck joint, just by the nature of how we usually shape and construct guitars.

Obviously, for a real answer we're going to need to build a series of guitars with smaller and smaller neck joints, until one of them pops under string tension. Then make sure all your guitars in the future have neck joints one bigger than that one.