The Coming Of A Newbie

Hello all. First off better introduce myself

My name is Adam and after looking at some custom built guitars and basses, I thought I'd take a stab at drawing one at least, and hopefully building it (budget permitting). My current collection only consists of an OLP MM3 5-string, which sounds surprisingly good for me, considering other OLP's I've played sound a little different.

Since I'm introducing myself, might as well give a brief show of what I would like to build.

Linkie to Bass

Essentially I want it to be a neck-through 5-String bass (inspired a lot by the Parker Fly) consisting of a mahogany body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. If I ever do build it some time soon, I hope to paint it in a pearlescent purple/blue, similar to this car here, although that could be quite difficult.

Of course, that being a rough sketch, I'll probably change a few things like the head and some other things here and there.

That said, the resources here look great, and hopefully I can put it all to action really soon :D

Again, nice to be here, from what I've seen so far it's a very friendly community B)

Oh, and feedback on my design may be nice :D

My Wood-working skills are fairly decent. I won't say close to the best, but good enough to do the job.

My main issue with wood-work at the moment is I have nowhere to do it, so I'm having to build a portable workshop on my undercover area in the backyard.

I was considering buying a neck for a bolt-on, but I'd like to attempt a neck, because I might as well practice it all on the same guitar to get a feel for it.

I feel fairly confident about building a guitar. The guides here seem to cover more than everything I need.

Hey! Welcome!

I say go for it with the neck. I have only built one guitar so far, far from perfect. I was very hesitant to do the neck, but finally decided to take the plunge, and it turned out pretty well, very playable. I'm really happy I did that, and now I'm more confident as I'm starting up my second build. Good luck, and go for it. :D

Well I've got the all clear to build here at home. I will probably begin as soon as I can set up a workshop arrangement on the patio.

I was rummaging through all the tools here and I was surprised we have everything but clamps, so I am quite happy about that.

My only real issue with the guitar will be the electrics. Something I haven't grasped too well, so expect some very noobish posts in the electrics board soon :D

I'll tell you what, if you can PROVE to me, that Thomas Edison Failed at the lightbulb...Then I'll tell you that you cant do it, all i have to say is....

You got the damn(Scoose me if i',m not allowed to curse, i 'm about to read that) hammer! Dont be afraid of it, just hit it..

Congradulations, you just learned my style of encouragement :D

And welcome, i just joined JUST now....So i guess were both on the same page.

Haha, thanks for the welcomes.

As you've probably found out by now in the "In Progress" board, I've started to make it, and I found somewhere in Sydney that will supply the timber for me. Thank goodness for that.

Still adapting here, but learning something new every day, and hopefully you'll see a couple of guitars churned out from me in time :D