Beginner Here - Refret A Maple Neck Questions

tra

I'm new to the community and I've been playing guitar about 14 years (I'm 26). I've always wanted to learn how to build/repair/maintain guitars, and now that I have a few "junkers" I'm using them as my learning tools.

My first guitar was a Squier Strat with a maple neck, and it's been out of commission for a few years now. Most of the frets are dented or lifting so I've decided to use this as my opportunity to learn how to fret a guitar. I've been skimming through Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, and I have the frets removed using his suggestions. Luckily, I didn't pull up big chunks of wood removing the frest like warned in Dan's book, but it's definitely roughed up a bit where the frets lay (little pieces missing). What do you recommend to smooth it out before laying down the new frets? I don't have Dan's "special fret hammer" and wanted to see if there is something I can pick up at Home Depot that will work equally well?

I'm a newb so go easy on me. I'm not a slouch and I don't expect to have such a great skill come easily. I'll use the search function before making stupid "newb" posts to keep the signal to noise ratio low.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

Luckily, I didn't pull up big chunks of wood removing the frest like warned in Dan's book, but it's definitely roughed up a bit where the frets lay (little pieces missing). What do you recommend to smooth it out before laying down the new frets?

Little pieces missing is really not important, if the new frets will cover that up. What you might want to get rid of, is the little ridge of clear finish sticking up where it used to meet the sides of the fret crown. Running a smooth cut file lengthwise down the board, and having the right "feel" while using the file *can* knock those ridges down flush while causing minimal or no scratching on the finish between fret-slots. Using the wrong technique with that file can put horrible scratches all over the place.

I'm not going to get into the fact that your fret-board might need to be properly resurfaced to provide a good base for a good fret-job, in which case, some, or all, fret-board finish would be removed in the process.

My first maple re-fret was quite a disaster.

A simple plastic/rubber tip hammer at home depot is great for fretting

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...p;sName=Hammers

everyone has them.

Thank you guys! Got the frets in just fine. I have a two other junk guitars laying around that needed fret leveling, and that was a huge success. I think that I'm going to be spending just as much time futzing around as I will be playing.

Edited by tra