Ever Used Ink?

sockwalker

Just wondering if it is possible to use ink for color (I guess as opposed to dye) for color on a body? I am thinking a pigmented ink would work but, not really sure so I thought I would ask.

Never used ink as a dye, but ink does go under poly finishes without any problem. If you were using it to stain the whole guitar I'm guessing you'd want to be applying it well diluted. The possible problem might be in getting an even coat using inks, as the pigments are pretty strong (particularly on a wood like maple), I'd imagine they might have a tendency to give streaks if you're not careful - but I could be totally wrong on that one!

Your best bet is to just try it out on another piece of junk wood and see how it works :D

Jim :D

Edited by Foggy

Thanks. I am refinishing a Hamer CP4 bass and looking to put a veneer top on it. I haven't decided on what kind of veneer yet. I will look at what a local exotic hardwood place has Mon. The body is made up of multiple pieces and capped on the front and back. Looking to do a burst (maybe black back & blue front) as the back cap looks good. I'd just as soon not paint it. I'm thinking about rubbing diluted blue ink on the front and airbrush black ink on the edges of the front on around to the back, wiping down the back as I spray to avoid unevenness. Thoughts ?????

My thoughts would be to use a cloth and use it very dry with the ink, so that you can apply a tiny bit at a time and maybe that'll help keep the shade consistent. Definitely test on other pieces. As far as airbrushing the dyes, they go through airbrushes great, so that should work great. (again, test first)

Id be worried about its ability to not fade and resist UV. Why use ink when known products will work for resonable $$.

Isn't pigment the same regardless of the carrier? Be it ink, dye, paint, etc. Also, I have ink and no dye.

No not all pigment is the same. For instance, candy colors will fade very quickly in the sun without a good clear with lots of UV protection in it. So you do run the risk of your dye fading. I don't know how well it'll hold up overall, however, a good clear with lots of UV inhibitors would definitely help keep that from happening.

OK..I was thinking that, for example, black pigment was based from carbon. Regardless whether it ended up in ink or dye or paint or ??? Wouldn't the fading characteristics be the same from one medium to the next based in the thinking that black pigment is carbon based? I guess, thinking about it some more that not all pigment is natural in that some are synthetic based. Therefore, some would be more susceptible to UV light than others.