an idea...

hey

i have an idea that i would like to throw in the air for you to shoot down....

normally if you have a trem unit and you want hardtail you have to fill with blocks of wood etc...

why couldn't you use a piece of metal rod with a hook on either end and put them in place of the trem springs, therefore making the trem unit not move therefore reducing tuning problems..

would it work

yes or no?

dan

Dan- an Australian company had the same idea in the mid-80's. They sold their idea to WD Products. It was a little plastic tube piece with a 4-40 rod at the end for "adjustments". Basically a "one-way" product. (Funkle- thanks for the pic)

The wood block method is alright, but usually a pain in the ass-takeshi.

There's a better way. A *much* better way.

And it's coming soon. :-)

Dis-believers: Brian (the site owner here) will have his "better way" to test out in the next 24-48 hours, depending on mail delivery. Ask him what he thinks of it.

Trem owners are about to be very happy.

i used a neck back plate to stabalize a floy on one of my jacksons. i screwed it in so that the trem would go down, but not up. i did this so i could put a d-tuna on it. it worked like a champ.

Wilkinson made their trem's for Carvin a while ago where the trem would lock into a hardtail when the bar was perpendicular to the strings (facing the floor) and would unlock when used paralell. But I haven't seen any mention of the unit on Carvins recent trems.

Wilkinson was sued (by Gibson?) for some kind of product infringement, and as a result, they no longer sell the bridge, called the Convertible, in the US, but you can still buy them overseas, (and maybe in Canada?)