Sharing A Shop Space

NotYou

I've been talking with a guy who's looking to rent out a NEW woodworking shop space. It's 2200 sf, which makes my current shop look like a shoe closet.

The price is more than i can afford right now, so we talked and he wants to rent it out to one or two other luthiers in the area along with me. That puts it in my price range.

Have any of you shared a space with others? I seen people doing it before, but I'm not sure about it myself. The landlord is even going to place a few tools in there for general use (a HUGE table saw, jointer, etc) and he built a new automobile sized spray area that we can use.

If anyone has any nightmare stories or good stories about co-op workshops, I'd appreciate it. (2200 sf!!!)

Edited by NotYou

I've been talking with a guy who's looking to rent out a NEW woodworking shop space. It's 2200 sf, which makes my current shop look like a shoe closet.

The price is more than i can afford right now, so we talked and he wants to rent it out to one or two other luthiers in the area along with me. That puts it in my price range.

Have any of you shared a space with others? I seen people doing it before, but I'm not sure about it myself. The landlord is even going to place a few tools in there for general use (a HUGE table saw, jointer, etc) and he built a new automobile sized spray area that we can use.

If anyone has any nightmare stories or good stories about co-op workshops, I'd appreciate it. (2200 sf!!!)

I have seen open shops work before, I would have many question regarding your space and how your tools and stuff will be treated. Storage for wood etc. I could go on and on. If the landlord just dumps some tools in the shop will that really help you? Who will maintain them or the shop. So many questions. What about insurace for theft? If you own your own home you are covered at home or have renters insurance for an apartment. Most landlord will not cover your loss even with a fire.

Think of all the worse case possiblities and work back to a happy place.

I've shared a shop with a few friends, and one thing that bugged me the most about it was shop manners; clean up after yourself, put things away or back where you found them, etc. Basically, I like to come to a shop that looks like it wasn't used an hour ago. That's just me though.

What spoke mentioned is also important. Theft was a huge problem in my shop. I used to have a nice set of screwdrivers, allen wrenches and squares. I have no idea where they are, or who took them now though. That'll happen in almost any manufacturing environment though.

Theft is definitely biggest concern. I also wouldn't want the last person in the shop to leave and not lock the door with multi-thousand dollar guitars lying around.

I might just look around more and try to find to find a space by myself. My business has been growing fast lately, but I want to make sure it can be steady before I get in over my head with my rent.

I just signed a lease for 300 sf space. It's in the art district here in Denver and is the most badass industrial looking building I've ever seen. I couldn't be more excited. I get my own studio, but the building is shared with metal workers, sculptors, and other industrial type artists.

The owner has a load of woodworking tools, which are well taken care of, that I can use anytime I want if I need to.

I also have an appointment early next week to officially register my business.

:D

So long as everyone minds their manners and sticks to the rules. If anyone scoffs or takes your wishes lightly then I would expect to see trouble down the road. I don't care if people borrow my tools but they better put them back and they damn well better know how to use them and take care of them. If I need to even use my broom and its not where its supposed to be then I get pissed off. Its called common courtesy. Its serious business especially if one of your "partners" brings "friends" or "friends of friends" over. Next thing you know your stuff starts to go missing. And its a royal pain to have to put every thing away and lock it up every day.

I considered getting into one shop, they were asking $500/mo. but I wanted to talk to one of the guys who I knew and trusted first. There were also 2 brothers involved, one good and one evil :D. Long story short, one brother was a little napoleonic in his ways and was difficult to deal with. It got to where yet another member dreaded even being around when the evil guy was there. :D

Edited by Southpa

I don't have to worry about others using my stuff since I have my own locked space. Everyone there seems to be pretty cool. They're all professional artists, so they take those kinds of things seriously.

I'll be starting to load my stuff up tomorrow and I'll get some pics.

I don't have to worry about others using my stuff since I have my own locked space. Everyone there seems to be pretty cool. They're all professional artists, so they take those kinds of things seriously.

I'll be starting to load my stuff up tomorrow and I'll get some pics.

That's awesome. We have similar space here in Portland. t woudl be fun just to interact with fellow artists.