Working With Superior Drummer 2

Xanthus

Hey all, I'm trying out Logic and Superior Drummer 2, and am wondering if anyone had any experience combining the two. I'm looking for a way to take the single notes/hits and maybe use them in a sequencer/step grid format, a'la Fruity Loops. I am very much a "clicker" when it comes to drums, not at all a keyboard/MIDI controller guy, and being no drummer and knowing no drummers, wanted to see if I could get a serviceable backing track or two to toss into Logic or Pro Tools. The only drum writing experience I've had on the computer has been using MIDI drums like Cakewalk, or a setup like Fruity Loops, so I'm looking to maybe use SD2 in that vein.

I'm still not as good at tracking down files in Mac as I am in Windows, but I ended up finding where the packets installed to. The Superior Drummer sounds are in .OBW format, and are upwards of 1GB large. The Drumkit From Hell sound files are in wav, but don't play in iTunes or any other player, and they won't drag into Ultrabeat to use as a sample. I'm thinking that my hopes of using the program as I'd dreamed is diminishing, but I just figured I'd ask the masses to see if they'd used it like I'm describing here. Thanks!

I wrote out some drum parts in guitar pro, converted it to a midi file, then had my friend convert it to drum samples from Tomas Haake's kit. I'm surprised at how simple it was to get such nice sounding percussion. Although that may not help you out much, I'd be happy to share how this is done if you want to try it out.

I'd definitely be up for trying that, Jon! Thanks a bunch for the info. I've been trying to track down some sequencers that work with Macs. I grabbed my uncle's (a FL user) set of drum sounds from his library. While not stellar, they are definitely passable, and work with Ultrabeat. I don't know why the drum samples from DFH didn't work, seeing as they're wav.

In a few months I'll have an inexpensive studio setup to start recording my own stuff, so I can't really get you any sound examples until then. Here's what my friend used to convert the midi to Tomas Haake's kit samples:

Ableton Live ~> Plugin for Ableton called EZ Drummer ~> plugin for EZ drummer called Drum Kit from Hell

Thanks, guys!

@Jon: I'll definitely have to try importing a full MIDI track into DFH. As of now, I've only been using it to click on the drums and make a funky tune! Maybe I should read the manual I downloaded...

@Unrealize: Yeah, I could probably get away with using SD2 in Fruityloops, but the problem is, I have a Mac, and FL is only for PC. Rather than restarting my laptop over and over again and bouncing back and forth between operating systems, I thought it would be easier to find a program that fulfills the same function, but works for my Mac. It's too bad, because FL is totally my style of program, it's exactly how I like to "see" my drums.

The only drum writing experience I've had on the computer has been using MIDI drums like Cakewalk, or a setup like Fruity Loops, so I'm looking to maybe use SD2 in that vein.

I am similar to you in doing drum tracks...it's the thing that is holding me back from recording!

I don't use Mac, so everything I think of in freeware is windows based (as far as I know). My BR600 has a roland software app (free, for BR900 but compatible) that has a neat grid fromat, hit velocity and even visual drum kit...but I am not sure that it would work for you.

Previously I used Hammerhead which is a really easy program in grid format and there are sample kits that can be loaded in (or your own) instead of the "dance" crap that is standard...but windows.

A quick google though on "freeware mac drum" produced a few things like this...

MrDrum

but something like this...TdrumX...might have more features and alows loading wav's and other format sounds..or even more advanced...Hydrogen...all seem to be Mac freeware.

However...if you have a sequencer program in the recording set up that shows grids, you can use that like a drum machine once you get used to the format...

Using a notation sequencer though is not too bad though...using guitar pro for this purpose is an interesting idea...i'd like to see some tips on this if it is working for you.

What I had been hoping to do is to go "portable" with a BR600 rather than computer based...but even though it has a great drum machine, the little window and editing potential is just too hard. Fortunately the thing can load from the roland program and up load a midi drum track...so I am always on the look out for free (although i use windows) methods of generating stuff.

The big benefit for me with a midi sequencer kind of software is that I could upload songs from the 'net in cheesy midi format, strip away the other tracks and edit complete song drum tracks or take bits and pieces to make my own (there is no way I am going to be able to program in the Police's "walking on the Moon" drum track, but some geeks have had a decent go at it).

pete