Layered Bodies

My original zebrano/wenge eight-string had a body made up of two pieces each made from a lamination of wenge with a dyed black sycamore pinstripe in the centre, and that is a great body.

I guess this idea does afford you the opportunity to experiment in top/back wood with central cores. Always good fun!!

Besides the obvious fact that 4/4 is easier to find then 8/4 and gluing should not impart a noticeable difference, even though wood selection most likely will (being vague here for a reason, LOL).

The painted LP's are probably not a higher instrument grade wood or why would they paint it. I cant see using paint on a AAA book matched flamed maple top unless its a custom order.

If you clear coat multiple layers there should be minimal issues and even less of an issue using a wipe on poly. However using solid paint on multiple layers is not recommended. Different woods on each layer tend to breath (move due to the differences in air moisture) at different rates. You will probably get lines forming where your glue lines are over time. This would be more noticeable in a light color paint like white.

The LP for example is joined behind the binding so any future wood movement is hidden. Even within the same species this could happen. A perfect example is heel blocks and even center glue lines. How many people have seen those telltale glue-up lines in older painted guitars?

What about wings? I'm just starting a Firebird, and it's got a neck through, everyone says that because it's a neck trhough it has more sustain then a glue neck. It has wings however. Does that matter? Is it just the neck and the neck through that matters?

I think that if you do a nice job, and get the glue right, it doesn't matter if you have layers or a samwhich or a jig saw puzzle.

-John

From a 3 or 4-piece body, the glue/wood ratio has a long way to go before it gets to plywood.

Most painted Strats are multipiece bodies, and sound just fine. But they're not saving $8 per body because Fender gets its wood a LOT cheaper than you do.

Whatever you do, just don't glue endgrain to endgrain...