Corvus Bloody Corvus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The neck is slowly getting there. The shaping went a whole lot faster then I expected and turned out to be one of the easier things on this build. Of course this doesn't guarantee this being a good neck, but I hope so! It 'll be a bit fatter then the factory necks I have but I want to play it safe for the first neck.

Once the neck is glued in place I'm going to make the neck joint more ergonomic and seemingly more one piece with the body.

Excuse the pore picture taking:

(the fretboard is not glued yet, I just layed it on for shows. The rear pickup will have a black cover as wel, this is just a trick of mine to keep the neck and bridge pickup seperated)

th_100_7066.jpg

th_100_7067.jpg

th_100_7068.jpg

th_100_7069.jpg

th_100_7070.jpg

th_100_7071.jpg

th_100_7072.jpg

th_100_7073.jpg

Darn I just realized that as well! that's pure coincidence, to bad I'm painting the guitar black. I could still make a change of plan as there is only one wormhole in that area. Perhaps I could do the back of the neck and the middle clear as with a neck through.

Personally i would stain it or something rather than painting it a block colour on the sides, it might look a bit weird to me.

Simon

I must say i totally agree with you on that! except there are a few problems with that idea... The wood simply has to many worm holes, which made me simply screw the templates to the body as I was gonna paint it black anyway. This created more holes. Basically to many things I need to use filler on, hard to make unnoticable.

To bad indeed, as I love the looks of the wood!

Yeah I am... I'm gonna sink it to just the right depth with a forstner. Perhaps if this looks out of place because of the difference in hight I could sink the rest as well.

(edits) The knob will be exactly in the middle of the bevel line. Besides it won't be much more then a mm's difference.

I actually liked the idea of doing all the knobs on the bevel line, allong the axe blade part of the guitar, but they would be hard to reach (to far back).

Edited by Dirge for november

Another pic that says nothing :D. If you look close you'll spot some progress.

th_compmockup2.jpg

I've been drilling away... The bridge is now placed, and the tuners are in place (I need to get some rings though...) Also the pot holes are drilled. I actually already sinked them as mentioned above, but somehow my 25mm drill bit wasn't exactly 25, more like 24.9, so the knobs don't fit. Lucky the bit was to small instead of to big. More big steps planned this weekend. By now you must know what to expect with "a big step by dirge". :D

Edit: no wheechair pun intended B)

Edited by Dirge for november

Hmmmmmmmm, all i see is that knob on the bevel line every time I look at it. Sure it'll only be a mm off, but if you think about it from an asthetics point of view rather than a measurement point of view (two very different things), you'll notice that that 1mm difference is like throwing a beer can into the middle of a crystal clear lake. Luckily its never too late to move knobs around unless you've chosen a clear finish.

I'm not gonna change that, I've already sunk the knobs, and I'm very fond of how it looks. It's not 1mm of, as the other knobs are also sunk to the same depth. I think this ads to the complete look of the guitar. If you disagree, fine :D I'm curious as to what it will look like when done.

To bad another thing is a tiny bit of. I hope it wont be noticable, but I aint to heartbroken about it as this is basically the first guitar I'm fully doing myself. (my previous build was with a lot of help because of me sitting to low (in a wheelchair.) This time around I want to do everything myself, which makes it partly my first build.

Oh! I didn't mean to offend or anything! I was under the impression that you may have wanted to move it or something. I totally have no problem with you or anyone else building things the way they do. Heck, I've done things that would make most of the people on this board come after me with pitch forks and fire lol. I was just trying to offer some perspective :D

• 2 weeks later...

I made a lot of invisible progress, redeeming the mistakes I made, and improving on the neck etc. I finally found out how to cut my maple veneer, I impregnated the backside with some superglue. It gave me a plastic finger in the end, but what the hey! I've made a mockup by putting the litte pieces of veneer on the aproximate spots where they are gonna be sunk into the fretboard. There is a certain logic in it for me, so theyll function as fretmarkers as well.

th_inlaymock.jpg

You say that, while your finish looks pretty spectacular!

Thanks. I'm guessing you're meaning the matte finish on the Corvus? Wanna know a major reason I went with the matte top coat? So I wouldn't have to buff it out. All I had to do was level it out, then spray on two really light coats of matte finish. It ended up looking pretty cool, but it was borne out of not liking the finishing process.

And this is why I've always said that necessity isn't the mother of invention, laziness is.

I feel like kicking my own ass for stupidity. I didn't wait long enough for the epoxy resin to harden (or the two components weren't fully mixed) before sanding. The outer shell was hard enough, but the area that matters was still rubbery. I scraped clean 3 of the inlays, and restained and refilled them with glue. This time a different glue, to see how it works. Tomorrow is the date for the fretting, with someone who knows more about it so I hope I make it!!.

FWIW: Here's what you might be able to expect with a matte balck finish.

wip29.jpg

It's dang easy: level the finish, them spray a couple of LIGHT coats of matte over the top. Before the last coat, you might want to take some 320+ grit and finesse out any nibs or bubbles so that the last coat is 100% even. If you're careful and use light enough coats, you shouldn't have any uneven-ness at all.